Pro XS bogs out of the hole after new lower unit

I just had a new lower unit put on my 2016 pro xs 250, and now it seems to be real boggy out of the hole. It has no power or response until around 2200 rpms then like someone hit a switch it gets normal and goes up on plane. Full speed is normal as well, only feels like it has no power before 2200rpms. Compression is good and there’s no water in the gas tank or the VST. Any ideas as to what else to check?

My boat is a triton 22trx and I’m running a 25p tempest plus.

Is everything EXACTLY the same as it was before lower unit replacement. New prop? Prop to pad? New control cables?

Joe Perez
    Boatless white trash

3. Member
    Are the PVS plugs identical to how they were before the lower unit was replaced?

Is the lower unit aftermarket, or genuine Mercury Marine?

4. Member
    I’m running my spare prop, I used to have a 24p four blade fury that spun up like crazy. Now I’m running a 25p tempest and it seems so doggy.

5. Member
    I’m running a different prop than before, came from a 24p fury 4 and now I have my spare on, 25p tempest. 2 large plugs and 1 small, blows out if I have any bigger plugs. And the lower unit is genuine Mercury installed by a Mercury certified mechanic.
    Last edited by Ntrain23; 08-01-2020 at 09:21 AM.

Try with one large plug only and lowering 1/2” P2P. The Tempest is a “spare” prop. If you busted up 24 Fury4, no way of duplicating prior setup. Need to start over.

Joe Perez
    Boatless white trash

7. Member
    Ok thanks for the info, motor seems to be less boggy with just one large plug and dropped half an inch. I have another fury4 on order, thanks again for the info. I was worried they messed up my motor, didn’t think a prop would make so much difference but now I know!

Joe Perez
    Boatless white trash

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ntrain23 View Post
    Ok thanks for the info, motor seems to be less boggy with just one large plug and dropped half an inch. I have another fury4 on order, thanks again for the info. I was worried they messed up my motor, didn’t think a prop would make so much difference but now I know!

Pretty hard to "messed up my motor" installing a brand new lower unit!