189TRX Tach Adjustment

Just for anyone else who has a Faria Tach on their 189TRX with a 4 stroke, I reached out to the company today on how mine was reading way off at WOT.

They sent me some information on how to fine adjust the tach.

For my application, I would assume all Mercury 4 strokes, they told me to set it on position "5" and then use the fine adjustment pot to dial it in and match my vessel view mobile.

This was the first I had heard of that and thought I would pass that on. I don't always use my vessel view mobile, but would like the analog tach to be as close as possible.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2019 Triton 189 TRX
    2019 Mercury 175 Pro XS 4 Stroke
    6" Rapid Jack Magnum Manual Plate

2. Member
    on Lake Hartwell in Westminster, SC 29693
    "5" is not ALL merc 4 stroke; there is a legend to each setting...tach will work w/ 3,4, 6 cyl motors depending on setting

3. Member
    Mine reads 500 rpm too high.
    2022 Phoenix 919 Pro XP
    2022 Mercury 225 4s 3B133405

4. Member
    I have a thread about this in the Mercury 4 stroke forum. Don told me another setting to try. I haven't been able to get accurate idle or wot readings set at 5, even with the fine adjustment. My next trip out I am going to try every setting, and bring another tach.

My first Faria tach was faulty and reading around 1500rpm too high and the small adjustment would not tune. They replaced the gauge and I tuned it against my vessel view mobile and it’s now within 100-200 when in the 3,000 to 5650 range. I’m not concerned at low rpm’s and took a few runs to dial it in. Reality is they just aren’t accurate.
    2018 TRX 18. 2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8

6. Member
    "Reality is they just aren’t accurate"

Although I am still messing with mine, I think this is the reality. I am trying to figure out if it is a junk gauge or an incompatibility between the engine and tach.

7. Member
    I wanted to make an update:

I tried every setting on my tach and using the fine adjustment pot. Nothing I did was even close. Today while on the lake I decided to mess with it some more, being that the fishing was slow. So here is where things get a bit mad scientist, or dumb redneck. I turned the dial to the "click" before position 1, and somehow it works. I did not even touch the fine tune trim pot. It is now accurate through full rpm range verified by vessel view. I have to assume my tach is defective, but it worked the rest of the day. I will update if it quits working or breaks the space time continuum.
    Last edited by RangerNate; 08-14-2020 at 04:43 AM. Reason: 1.21 gigawatts