36 volt trolling motor?????

Anybody running a 36 volt troller on their tin rig. Just picked up a 36 112 fortrex cheap and am thinking of putting it on my Crestliner VT17. Worried about the extra battery fitting in the bilge.

2. Member
    You'll be able to barefoot behind it....😉

I considered buying a 36v Fortrex as they're everywhere and pretty cheap. However, 24v/80# is a bit tougher to locate and more expensive. I found a great deal on a Maxxum Pro in good condition (which is more or less the same motor) and am good to go for now....until the used spot locks plummet to my budget... hehehe. 24v 70# - 80# with good batteries is more than adequate for boats like ours.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slicefixer View Post
    You'll be able to barefoot behind it....

I considered buying a 36v Fortrex as they're everywhere and pretty cheap. However, 24v/80# is a bit tougher to locate and more expensive. I found a great deal on a Maxxum Pro in good condition (which is more or less the same motor) and am good to go for now....until the used spot locks plummet to my budget... hehehe. 24v 70# - 80# with good batteries is more than adequate for boats like ours.
    Maybe in a lake, but I fish current in the Mississippi River. I have ran my batteries almost dead even when almost new. When you are fighting current all day they go through battery power pretty quickly. I just want to be able to fish all day without having to end up turning the motor all the way up by the end of the day. Currently running a 74 Maxxum.

4. Member
    I was looking at doing the same thing for my tracker because I kept seeing decent priced used ultrex available but never in 24 volt. Decided not to do it as i don't have the room for 4 batteries in my battery tray. I did find some smaller batteries but learned that if you put batteries in series say x3 25 amp 12 volts all you get is a 36volt 25 amp battery not a 36 volt with 75 amps. Just take some measurements of your battery space and look at some standard battery sizes. Other option is to look at some of the lithium batteries but they are $$$.

5. Member
    I went with a 112 Ultrex on my 1870. I also bit the bullet and got an Amped Outdoors 36v 60ah lithium. It was about $4200 for the whole shebang and I don't regret it one bit.

6. Member
    How do you like that battery. Was looking at it today. Not a bad price with the charger.
    Quote Originally Posted by hauss View Post
    I went with a 112 Ultrex on my 1870. I also bit the bullet and got an Amped Outdoors 36v 60ah lithium. It was about $4200 for the whole shebang and I don't regret it one bit.

7. Member
    It's awesome. I'm pretty easy on the battery most of the time and probably average 5hrs a trip. I don't put the charger on it till the 3rd or 4th use. It weights less than 1 group 31 Duracell AGM and is a simple, clean looking install. I've had it 2 months now.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hauss View Post
    It's awesome. I'm pretty easy on the battery most of the time and probably average 5hrs a trip. I don't put the charger on it till the 3rd or 4th use. It weights less than 1 group 31 Duracell AGM and is a simple, clean looking install. I've had it 2 months now.
    Sounds great thanks hauss

I run a 36V system on my boat. Need it for the tides and river currents. Removed the onboard battery charger and have plenty of room for the batteries. Running qty of 3 Group 31 AGM Duracell Batteries for the trolling motor.
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

10. Member
    I swear my 80 Ultrex runs and runs on spotlock river fishing compared to the digital Maxxum 70 sitting on the garage floor that I took off. The technology is unbelievable for those of us that remember using a 12V Johnson and swapping batteries.