Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Whats the biggest slid-in anyone uses to pull their boat

Really wanted to tow with a 5th wheeler but to many southern states don't allow it. So now I'm looking at slide-in's, which for some crazy reason seem to cost as much as a 5th wheeler. What are your personal experiences, not hearsay or what you heard, on the pluses and minus of pulling a full size bassboat. Thanks!

I've had a couple 8 foot slide ins, you'll need a 3/4 to 1 ton truck for anything big, and diesel if you want gas mileage plus performance. As long as you get a stinger to go from the truck, under the backend of the camper to the boat, you can run any of the extended truck campers. If you really want to go big. look at Host Campers! My favorite has been an Alaskan hard sided pop up.

3. Member
    I am in the process of doing what you are thinking. My suggestion is find a camper that will fit your needs.You will then need to determine your true tongue weight of the boat you want to pull. Now take your camper weight plus 1000 lbs, add another 300lbs (for suspension and towing enhancements), add all those weight together and you will have a realistic load you will need to carry in the truck. I found to haul a host Mammoth and a 20ft bass boat I am into a F550 suspension enhanced. I have decided that I want to stay in a max 350 Dully, So I have gone back to the drawing board looking for a camper. I currently have a 250 SD short bed with a Palomino HS 8801 and pull a 520C. Take your time and gather as much information as you can.
    KIMG1166.JPG

2023 Phoenix 920 Elite
    2023 Mercury Pro XS 4S

Here's my rig. It's a lance 1181 with a full wall slide on the passenger side.

Camper_boat.jpg

I have also used it to move my Daughter from Illinois to Colorado with this Uhaul packed full.
    Camper_Uhaul.jpg
    __________________________________________________ ___

**Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile**

Units ..... 1197 (6.310) ...1198 (6.490) ... Helix 12 MSI G3N

5. Member
    I will be buying a 2020 Chevy 3500 hd dually, its payload is 7400lbs with towing cap of over 35k. Should be able to handle any camper. I'm just trying to understand the good but mostly the negatives of traveling with this setup and also the same for the max size campers out there. Thanks for the inputs.

6. Member
    The only negative that I have found is getting the stability right. To get the weight capacity you mentioned that a reg cab gasser dully. I prefer a crew cab as storage is a premium. I as well prefer a Diesel. Know your height and get a trucker/RV GPS that allows height input. Choosing the right camper and matching it to the corrrect puler alleviates most issues. Other than getting over the initial jitters of hauling and moving that much weight. Get a 250 tablet bottle of Tylenol as the freedom you will have will bring a smile so big it can cause excessive headaches.

2023 Phoenix 920 Elite
    2023 Mercury Pro XS 4S

7. Member
    I've had a popup Northstar 850SC and now a Capri Camper. Both mounted on a 2020 F-350 SRW, Gasser. Payload is 4,460 lbs. The Northstar had minimal hangover, the Capri Retreat no hangover. So consider that aspect if you don't want to jack with an extension to pull the boat. I recommend being well under your payload just for the peace of mind. My camper is 2,700 lbs loaded. Barely know it's there. Tongue weight on my boat is 210 lbs. So the whole rig is not stressing me out in any way.

Launching with the camper is doable, no question. But it's nice to unload it if you are staying a few days and not have to deal with it on the boat ramp. I usually back in and stop quick to sling the boat off, so that move is not as easy with the camper loaded.

Get electric jacks as an option to make unloading easier. There are so many variables to consider, it really starts with the style of camping/fishing you will be doing.

8. Member
    You can get the 7400# payload in the gas, standard cab dually. Going to a diesel, crew cab dually cuts the payload to 5900#. It is not a give that the diesel, crew cab will handle any camper made if you account for passengers, fuel, propane, multiple camper batteries, tools..... Then load the camper up with water (some hold 70 gallons!), food, kitchen items, personnel gear and etc.

I have a 11.5 ft, triple slide camper on a Crew Cab, Duramax, 3500HD and pull a 21' boat. I've added air bags and torklift stabilizers. The setup does great.

Invader186S .... Curious what air bags you are using. Pressure? I would like to level mine out a little more so I don't have to adjust headlights.

I've seen people complain that the air bags cause a little bouncing .... Have you experienced any of that? sorry if this diverts the thread .... If it get too long I will PM Invader186S.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob B View Post
    Invader186S .... Curious what air bags you are using. Pressure? I would like to level mine out a little more so I don't have to adjust headlights.

I've seen people complain that the air bags cause a little bouncing .... Have you experienced any of that? sorry if this diverts the thread .... If it get too long I will PM Invader186S.
    No those are good questions that myself and probably others would like to know. I appreciate the input from everyone. It's always better hearing from others that have been thru the learning curve already. I will need to go with the biggest slide in as my wife was all set on a 5th wheeler setup, the fact that a lot states dont allow it made me change plans, so know I will have to convince her that she wont have quite the room as she was hoping. I would unload the camper so launching the boat at certain ramps wont be a problem, do the ones that have hitch extenders leave them on or do you need to take them off also.

11. Member
    I run Air Lift bags at about 80# with the Torklift stable loads. Yes I have seen mention of a bouncy ride with bags but have not really experienced this.

I also use a Curt 45048 2-1/2" x 2" hitch extension. This was the perfect length for me and allows use of the truck factory 2-1/2" hitch. It is not extremely heavy so its easy to install and remove. It is limited to 4500#/450# or 6000#/600# if using a weight distribution setup. Its relatively cheap and simple. It has 34" of extension and by carefully selecting a ball mount that was a little longer, it provided the perfect length for my 11.5' camper. if you need more extension or haul more weight, a dual beam setup should be used.

When I get to a campground, I drop the boat at the trailer parking area, then go to the camp site, remove the camper and get setup. If i'm using the truck for lots of side trips and site seeing, I'll remove the hitch extension. Otherwise I just leave it on if all I'm doing is launching and retrieving.

I do pretty much the same as you ..... but don't currently have the air bags ... do you have both the upper and lower stable loads?

I have a 2013 Chevy diesel dually regular cab .... I wanted the diesel with the Allison transmission. I went with the regular cab to increase payload and reduce overall length.

With my previous 2500 truck and a lighter camper, I had transmission problems twice .... so I wanted the most bullet proof tranny I could find. That truck had a gas 350 engine in it. The diesel engine is a game changer when you start going thru mountains or very hilly areas.
    Last edited by Bob B; 08-06-2020 at 04:33 PM.

13. Member
    I run Air lift bags as well with a on board compressor with the controller that allows me to adjust each bag separately. When I put too much air in the bags its, not sure it bouncy but definitely not as stable as when I get the correct pressures for the load. I run 55 on rt and 60 on left as my starting point. I use the reese extension if I am there for a bit I remove it otherwise it stay in. I am not using the massive supertruss, I may rethink that if I was.

2023 Phoenix 920 Elite
    2023 Mercury Pro XS 4S

14. Member
    I use the Torklift thick upper rubber spring spacer blocks and the lower engageable spring wedges. The Torklift products seem well made but they are pricey. I also added their Glow Step Revolution stairs after a weld broke on the factory stairs. The stairs added an extra step and are a huge improvement.

I would never go with a gas truck again to haul a heavy camper. I often camp at 10K' above sea level feet so I'm climbing and descending very steep grades. The effortless power and engine braking of a diesel are incredible. I had a gas truck with manual transmission and a lighter 3500# camper for 15 years. When pulling a steep grade, at altitude, on a warm day with a headwind there is just no comparison.

15. Member
    Again great info from you all. You must have to get some crazy looks pulling your boats with the extensions on. I never had a truck with the airbags but sounds like a good setup with the compressor controls inside the cab. On one of my past suburban's I had some helper springs, it was a half ton, you could adjust them for varying loads, they worked well when I had the truck fully loaded with kids, dogs, and luggage when we went up north. Also had one of those hitch extension platforms with a big wooden box filled to the gills, kept it pretty level. Those are not a good option for these situations?

16. Member
    I have a Lance 1161 Hauling it on a Ford F350 Dually Crew Cab.. I pull a 22ft Gambler behind it ,, I have the air bag suspension kit to help level the load. Have to use a 36" extension receiver to get past the hangover of the camper.. All Does Very well.
    I use a rearview camera on back of camper to see the boat on the road while pulling . Works nice.

17. Member
    My Extension hitch is by torklift (superhitch)
    . I had to install another receiver on the truck.. it uses 2- 2"recievers , Very heavy setup but no worries while puling. just had to fab up an extension plug for the lights to trailer..

Quote Originally Posted by ky2200 View Post
    I have a Lance 1161 Hauling it on a Ford F350 Dually Crew Cab.. I pull a 22ft Gambler behind it ,, I have the air bag suspension kit to help level the load. Have to use a 36" extension receiver to get past the hangover of the camper.. All Does Very well.
    I use a rearview camera on back of camper to see the boat on the road while pulling . Works nice.
    I forgot to mention having a camera on the back .... I wouldn't go back to not having that to keep an eye on the boat and other things behind me.

July 4th 2015 Summer 066.JPG
    We have a Host Everest 11.5 ( 3 Slides ) and pull a 21 foot champion, Truck is a 2010 Ford F- 450 , yes you should have a rear camera , we love it , usually drop the camper than we have vehicle for shopping and going fishing There are 2 downsides 1 diesel mileage 10 miles per gall when loaded and towing , and stopping distance have to think way a head , other than that it works for us , we travel about 4 months a year .
    Attached Images Attached Images

2009 ELITE 210

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BILL LO View Post
    July 4th 2015 Summer 066.JPG
    We have a Host Everest 11.5 ( 3 Slides ) and pull a 21 foot champion, Truck is a 2010 Ford F- 450 , yes you should have a rear camera , we love it , usually drop the camper than we have vehicle for shopping and going fishing There are 2 downsides 1 diesel mileage 10 miles per gall when loaded and towing , and stopping distance have to think way a head , other than that it works for us , we travel about 4 months a year .
    Don't get much bigger than that, Nice setup.

2023 Phoenix 920 Elite
    2023 Mercury Pro XS 4S

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast