Replacing single axle stratos trailer

My trailer needs to be replaced, but not sure what brand model or style to re[lace with.

its a 1996 single axle non brake stratos carrying my 1996 288DC.

I love the way I can put the boat back on the trailer and I don't want to lose that,..

seems every boat trailer I have looked at, the boat would sit higher on the new trailer.

any body else using a non stratos brand trailer that are happy with their non stratos trailer?

reason for changing, the axle is damaged due to bearing / hub blow up and torsion axle got bent riding on the road.

Cost of replacing torsion axle versus new trailer would cost close to the same money and faster turn around getting a new trailer

2. Member
    I replaced mine with an aluminum I beam trailer from Easy Loader. The trailer has a torsion axle. The boat does sit a little higher than on the original but that has not created any issues.

My 285 sleeps on a Venture Aluminum now. Nice looking trailer and rugged beyond.

Saved a lot of coin, and ended up with a better trailer in my mind.

Couple of Stratos trail decals from EBAY, and Bingo!

1998 Stratos 285 Pro
    1989 Evinrude XP 150(E150STLCEM)(08199802)
    2004 Ford Explorer NBX V8
    1998 Jeep XJ 4.0L V6
    House Cat named Patches
    Remington 700, Old Cooey 12 gauge, A lot of Fishing Rods
    Some tools, garden hose with outboard attachment, 3 crow decoys, 8 Track Tape player,
    A Billy Bass, and clothing from the 80's.

How do you wear out a trailer? I kept my old trailer when I upgraded boats and it's still as good as new at 30 years old (transom on my old boat was rotten, found a newer boat with a blown motor, hull only). Replacing a trailer axle (quick Google search is about $250 for yours) is easy. I replaced mine in an afternoon in the driveway. Keeping the old trailer ensures your boat still loads and is balanced the same.
    1994 Stratos 201 Pro XL 2004 Mercury 200 EFI

5. Member
    How do you wear out a trailer?
    Mine was rusted from the inside out. As far as I was concerned it was not safe to use. I fish in brackish water so a painted tube trailer does not have a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Bassnailer View Post
    How do you wear out a trailer? I kept my old trailer when I upgraded boats and it's still as good as new at 30 years old (transom on my old boat was rotten, found a newer boat with a blown motor, hull only). Replacing a trailer axle (quick Google search is about $250 for yours) is easy. I replaced mine in an afternoon in the driveway. Keeping the old trailer ensures your boat still loads and is balanced the same.
    Come on out to the coast, any coast and fish brackish water. A painted tube trailer will last 10 years at best if you are lucky or you hose it out every trip.
    When I bought my boat they only offered tube trailers so I got mine galvanized. Still going strong
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.