Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Garmin so far a BIG disappointment

So recently went fishing with friend using Garmin & Livescope 32 module. I was so impressed, I sold all four of my Solix' units & went with two Echomap Ultra 126's & two 106's, and the Livescope 32. Got it all put on & spent another $550 on the pole mount system to get the transducer off the trolling motor bringing the total to well over $10000 on my electronics. All of it has the latest software. I have spent countless hours watching every video I could to get the best settings (some opinions were very different) to use the equipment. As of yet, I am not satisfied in the least with the Livescope. I have tried to adjust every setting possible, including the defaults. The clear view, DI & SI are fine, but Livescope was so crappy, I took the transducer off the pole mount up at Lake St. Clair & put the pole system away. Electrical taped the transducer to my BBT mount so as not to damage it. I have tried forward, down & perspective modes ... very disgusted that I even wasted the money. The images are nothing as advertised & I apparently am having the same issues as everyone else with ghost trees. Just exhausted after hours & hours of videos & on water time trying to "Fine tune, let alone tune" this unit.

Any suggestions ... $10K down the $hitter!
    Richard Viehe
    CRV Communications, Inc, President
    Authorized Bluewater LED Dealer
    Indpls., IN

Career Firefighter/Paramedic, Retired
    Carmel FD, IN

2020 Phoenix 21 PHX
    4 Stroke 250 Pro XS
    Console: Humminbird 12” Solix MSI G3, Garmin 126sv
    Bow: Humminbird 12” MEGA SI, Mega360, Garmin 122sv
    Livescope LVS34
    36V Ghost
    Dual 8' Blade Power Poles

2. Member
    Call your friend.

3. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by km9e View Post
    So recently went fishing with friend using Garmin & Livescope 32 module. I was so impressed, I sold all four of my Solix' units & went with two Echomap Ultra 126's & two 106's, and the Livescope 32. Got it all put on & spent another $550 on the pole mount system to get the transducer off the trolling motor bringing the total to well over $10000 on my electronics. All of it has the latest software. I have spent countless hours watching every video I could to get the best settings (some opinions were very different) to use the equipment. As of yet, I am not satisfied in the least with the Livescope. I have tried to adjust every setting possible, including the defaults. The clear view, DI & SI are fine, but Livescope was so crappy, I took the transducer off the pole mount up at Lake St. Clair & put the pole system away. Electrical taped the transducer to my BBT mount so as not to damage it. I have tried forward, down & perspective modes ... very disgusted that I even wasted the money. The images are nothing as advertised & I apparently am having the same issues as everyone else with ghost trees. Just exhausted after hours & hours of videos & on water time trying to "Fine tune, let alone tune" this unit.

Any suggestions ... $10K down the $hitter!
    I run my livescope alongside my Helix and Solix units. I spent about 6 months trying to "fine tune" garmin about 4 years ago and it was horrible compared to the lowrance units I came from. When I started looking at units for a new boat I had the chance to run the Solix beside a Garmin ( I think it was one of the 76XX units) that was their top end at the time. Not even close, not even in the same "ballpark" as they say. About a month ago I again had a chance to see an 8612 with UHD against a Solix and Helix mega. To me it looked like they may have improved the garmin a very small amount but the HB units were much better than their units from 4-5 years ago. HB was still way better on SI/DI.

Keep the LS and one unit and go back to HB before garmin releases something new and you lose more money. The LS is still useful and I will use it until hopefully HB releases something to match it. If they can't match it I will just use it beside my HB units and fish.

This of course in my 2 cents but as they say, "I have the t-shirt." FWIW the new boat was supposed to wait another year but I was about to throw all the garmin stuff in the lake and I got more for the old boat with all the fancy equipment on it.

4. Member
    We did that. Went on the water & he refuses to update his unit's software. Can't get it to work either!
    Richard Viehe
    CRV Communications, Inc, President
    Authorized Bluewater LED Dealer
    Indpls., IN

Career Firefighter/Paramedic, Retired
    Carmel FD, IN

2020 Phoenix 21 PHX
    4 Stroke 250 Pro XS
    Console: Humminbird 12” Solix MSI G3, Garmin 126sv
    Bow: Humminbird 12” MEGA SI, Mega360, Garmin 122sv
    Livescope LVS34
    36V Ghost
    Dual 8' Blade Power Poles

5. Member
    Ill take a 106 off your hands sir.

Quote Originally Posted by Centurion View Post
    Call your friend.

I have Garmin on my Bullet and my Phoenix came with Humminbird Solix units. I am to the point of swapping out the Humminbird to Garmin, because the Humminbird has many problems with freeze up etc... What good are electronic's if they can't tell you how deep you are??

8. Member
    amen the garmins work

9. Member
    Sorry for your issues. I don't have any trouble with mine and I got the same units. I did not look at the HBs. Two of my fishing buddies had the top end HB models and just could not get them to work as advertised. One had so many problems from day that HB finally said they could fix it for $900. One went to Garmin, the other went to Lowrance. So there appears to be issues at times with all of them. I switched from Lowrance which I did not have any issues with except they were not the latest technology nor were they ever user friendly. Only thing I can suggest since mine work great is to double check and make sure you have them installed correctly so that is not the issue. There are a couple of people on here that might be able to help you if you give them a chance. I wish I was one of them but I am not. I can definitely understand your frustration.

10. Member
    Maybe your experiencing a interference issue? Disco everything, or at least turn them all off, TM, motor, boat, etc. All but one unit and the LS. Called Garmin? It’s possible your LS is faulty. Try it on another boat if at all practical. Maybe beside your friends on his boat.
    firstly sit back and have a couple cold ones. Realize you $10k isn’t down any drain, and your not the only one to have issues. We’re installing, tuning and operating technology that’s hugely complex. With Huge complexity comes huge ability. Then realize how fortunate we are to have these problems, compared to others.

sometimes it’s easy to get caught up in the technology and detail that take away from why we have a boat and gear in the first place. Fishing is the goal, not marking, plotting, live scoping, or pics holding the biggest fish. Take someone less fortunate as you out, like a kid, or someone with a disability and let them remind you how special it is to just sit and watch your line and enjoy the view.

perspective is everything. You’ll get everything sorted out, rest assured.

11. Member
    Yeah I am in about 2200 dollars and also am disappointed with the results. Luckily I kept all my Hummingbirds hooked up and LOVE my mega 360.
    2020 Ranger 521L, Merc 250 Pro XS

12. Member
    Garmin = livescope
    Hummingbird= side images and ok down
    Lowrance = excellent down and ok side

13. Member
    I would add

Garmin = livescope.... YES (add PS30 if you troll).......Very Good 2Dchirp
    Hummingbird= side images and ok down.... YES..........Good 2Dchirp
    Lowrance = excellent down and ok side ....No need if you have the above 2 systems......excellent 2D

I run both Garmin and HB with a Minn Kota

14. Member
    I went with garmin after going back and forth with what I wanted. I knew HB and mega but I wanted livescope and I was seriously thinking off adding 2 helix along with my garmins . I've finally started seeing my garmin the way I should and its starting to click. The more I'm out with the Garmin the happier I am.

I still have some kinks to work out , the biggest being my front unit takes forever to load the maps and waypoints when switched. I'm thinking if I turn some map features of on the front unit it might be possible to speed it up
    2022 Ranger RB190
    Mercury 115 Proxs

15. Member
    Do you all really think there is as big a difference between the implementations of the classical applications (2D chirp, DI, SI) ? As far as I am converned it looks all pretty similar to me. E.g. in this comparison:
    It is in german language, but what they basically did is create an experimental setup in a lake, where they placed some artificial fish signals. Such as ping pong balls on a line fixed to the ground and so on. Then they went over these using the Fishfinders of different brands. For me, the results look pretty similar. Although it is known, that the indivdual sonar modules perform differently under certain temperature condition and temperature layerings of the water column. Some perform better under condition A while others perform better under condition B and so on.

My personal experiences are not that great. I am currently using an Echomap Ultra 102sv and LVS 12 and results are very varying over the year on my lake. Since my previous fishfinder was a raymarine dragonfly it is naturally always better than this one ^^

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pfisher View Post
    I run my livescope alongside my Helix and Solix units. I spent about 6 months trying to "fine tune" garmin about 4 years ago and it was horrible compared to the lowrance units I came from. When I started looking at units for a new boat I had the chance to run the Solix beside a Garmin ( I think it was one of the 76XX units) that was their top end at the time. Not even close, not even in the same "ballpark" as they say. About a month ago I again had a chance to see an 8612 with UHD against a Solix and Helix mega. To me it looked like they may have improved the garmin a very small amount but the HB units were much better than their units from 4-5 years ago. HB was still way better on SI/DI.

Keep the LS and one unit and go back to HB before garmin releases something new and you lose more money. The LS is still useful and I will use it until hopefully HB releases something to match it. If they can't match it I will just use it beside my HB units and fish.

This of course in my 2 cents but as they say, "I have the t-shirt." FWIW the new boat was supposed to wait another year but I was about to throw all the garmin stuff in the lake and I got more for the old boat with all the fancy equipment on it.
    Agree!

17. Member
    neat video, ohkw

18. Banned
    How do we tell what software are livescope is on? Just got my all setup, not sure if I should update or not. Unit was purchased about a month ago.

19. Member
    Home->Settings->System Information->Garmin Devices
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

20. Member
    I left humminbird and went all Garmin....the only thing I mis is the humminbird sidescan...My UHD down is better IMO and sonar and mapping is better. And I cannot imagine going fishing without livescope as it has changed the way I fish.

Now yes there has been some software issues, and they are a little different to dial in with contrast and color palettes...but all in all I am pretty happy with all aspects except sidescan....I am running a dual transducer setup to get the best down and side available.

Good luck getting them dialed in. Here is a down image of an old sunken bridge...IMG_20191227_104742703_HDR.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast