Trailering Covers

Likely

Understanding this isn't a usual concern for most bass boaters, but I have a Tahoe 550 TS (20' fish & ski) that I purchased three years ago and I am now on my third cover (which is a few threads from falling apart). I've been using a "universal" cover from Menards, which I always take off before trailering to the lakes near my home; however, I'm starting to take more "weekend getaways" with the boat, and I like to have the boat covered during the trip. But since anything that isn't a snug fit doesn't hold up well on the road, I really don't want to keep dropping $90 for a new cover every time I hit 65 on the freeway.

Curious as to others' thoughts on the following:

1) Snaps vs. Cinch-type covers
    2) One-piece vs Two-Piece (i.e. separate covers for the bow and cockpit)
    3) For two-piece covers, covering the windshield or not.

I never leave the boat in the water, and it is stored outside (on the side of my garage) year-round. As such, my primary consideration is a cover that works well for day-to-day storage (i.e. during the season only; it's shrink-wrapped in winter), but a close second is something that will hold up when trailering long distances.

And cover that is not made specifically for you boat will fit terribly, flap in the breeze when towing, and as a result wear prematurely and also leave marks on your hull. My advice is to bite the bullet and take your rig to a local canvas shop and have them make you a custom cover from Sunbrella material. It will last many years.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

Snaps like a Lund or Crestliner.

4. Member
    I have a custom cover for mine, but I never had it on, I have seen to many flapping in the wind beating the hell out of the boat going down the HWY. If it had not came with the boat, I would not have one unless it was stored outside.

5. Member
    Custom made is the only way to go. You pick the color, the material, it's measured to fit your boat and reinforced at stress/rub points. Got one when I bought my boat and 20 years later it's still works perfectly and looks good. Do a separate motor cover and you'll get a better fit. Mine has a rope and tie downs. It's worth the extra money you'll spend.

Quote Originally Posted by Guntucky View Post
    I have a custom cover for mine, but I never had it on, I have seen to many flapping in the wind beating the hell out of the boat going down the HWY. If it had not came with the boat, I would not have one unless it was stored outside.
    This cover is 18 years old, when I travel a distance it is on the boat. It is a custom made cover, meaning the boat was in the guys shop for 3 days while he made each panel and fitted it. It has never “flapped” and I have towed at interstate speeds. I changed trolling motors and the front corner is way tighter—— because it was a CUSTOM cover.

7. Member
    on Lake Hartwell in Westminster, SC 29693
    if trailering, cinch or belly straps. always.
    should be tailored to boat; iow, 'custom'

snaps won't hold and are intended for mooring/stationary...

john/eastcoastcanvas.com