Cut/Splice GPS puck wire?

I had a AS GPS HS puck installed at the transom and the wire run through the deck to the console. I have bad magnetic interference and need to relocate the puck elsewhere on the deck. It doesn’t look like the wire can be disconnected from the puck and I can’t pull the wire back through from the console because it’s hung up and I don’t want to cause problems with other wires. What’s the easiest way to fix this? Can I cut the wire in half and reroute it through deck and splice back together? Any way to take the wire apart at the puck without cutting it?
    2019 Xpress X21 Pro
    Yamaha SHO 250

2. Member
    Anyone?
    2019 Xpress X21 Pro
    Yamaha SHO 250

3. Member
    I have not taken an AS GPS HS apart but the ones I have are soldered. It is not a problem to splice those wires. Make sure any ground or shields are connected as well. Bob
    Note: check for magnetic interference with a compass before you mount it again.
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

4. Member
    Maybe I can draw a silver lining around my recent stupidity. A few weeks ago I was launching my boat solo and the bow rope got wrapped around my heading sensor and, once there was enough pressure on it as my boat slid into the water, it frisbee-ed it about 30 yards out into the lake, snapping the wiring in two. I will get some pictures of the innards tonight and post. The wire goes through a sealed grommet in the bottom, then to a plug which you could disconnect from the internal wiring of the puck. I will check when I get home to see if the plug will fit through the hole. I'm GUESSING you MIGHT be able to open the puck (screws on bottom), unplug the wiring plug, unseat the grommet, and slide the plug out through the grommet hole. I'll post a follow-up later tonight.

5. Member
    Upon further inspection (see picture) the plug is actually two plugs, side by side, so they will fit through the grommet hole. The bad news is that, while there IS a grommet on the bottom/outside of the hole, there is some type of hard sealant poured on the top/inside that is bonded to the wires. The wires push into the plugs, so you could, I think, cut the wire just outside the puck, remove the grommet, dig out the sealant, disconnect the wires from the plugs, then reverse the process and pour your own sealant when you're done. The question is: "is that more work or risk than your other option(s)?"20200806_180923.jpg20200806_181457.jpg

6. Member
    Those look like molex mini connectors. you can buy the pins off digikey as well as the pin extraction tool, both of which are pretty cheap

7. Member
    Is that a GPS or just the Minn Kota heading sensor?

8. Member
    Humminbird AS GPS HS

9. Member
    Good to know. Makes it possible to replace if the wire is very hard to change. Some things do get better. You can be sure it was cheaper to make it that way. Nothing is done with servicing in mind any more! Bob