Hillsboro, MO 63050 & Dripping Springs, TX 78620

Crab Orchard Lake

Went over from Missouri side at St Mary's exit. Should have know when we got across the bridge into Illinois and highway 3 said closed. But no detour sign where we turn. Went on 3 just to edge of town and the Railroad had the road closed. Track work I guess. Went back into town and there was a detour sign when you come back from the tracks. Took the long very long route to Crab Orchard Lake. Paid the fee at campground and put in at Spillway ramp. Fishing @6:30am,. Fished til 2pm Thunderstorms approaching Loaded and head back Via 149 to 3 south to Cape and then back up 55 highway. I normally never do bad when I go fishing, 99% time can get some kind of pattern going. 1 short short fish on topwater, 1 short fish on shakyhead, and 1 keeper on a 9" texas rig worm. Partner zero'd.
    This lake has really changed in 25 plus years and I do not think I will go back.

2. Member
    Nothing wrong with Crab. It’s just the middle of summer and the lake is hot as hell. Had near constant rain the past couple weeks which doesn’t help. I’ve done pretty well there despite the heat and rain.

Not sure what fee you paid at the campground to launch and fish. Lake fees have been suspended this year due to corona.

3. Member
    Wait, I'm confused. You say the lake has really changed in 25+ years but you just posted a month ago asking for information on the lake (ramp locations, hp limits, etc.)?
    Sean
    2016 Phoenix 721
    Mercury 250 ProXS

4. Member
    Hillsboro, MO 63050 & Dripping Springs, TX 78620
    Yes I was asking for info as I had not fished it in over 25 years. So we went and fished it Last week The lake has changed. Structure, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by showland89 View Post
    Wait, I'm confused. You say the lake has really changed in 25+ years but you just posted a month ago asking for information on the lake (ramp locations, hp limits, etc.)?

5. Member
    I gotcha. I haven't fished there in a few years since a move but it was always feast or famine for me. The few good days far outweighed the countless bad though.
    Sean
    2016 Phoenix 721
    Mercury 250 ProXS