Big Pine Island Lake

Has anyone fished Big Pine Island Lake near Greenville? Just wondering what the water is like: clarity, weeds, structure? Going to check it out this weekend. Thanks.

look it up on google earth, looks like a largemouth lake to me

Big Pine Island is listed as the lake the state record largemouth came from (11 lbs 15 ozs). I fished it years ago 1 time and remebering struggling to get a bite though.

4. Member
    I've been looking at google maps. Looks like a lot of sand to the breaks. We'll see tomorrow! Thanks. I did see the state record largie came from there way back in 1934 or something.

5. Member
    I think a bunch of trailers had their tires slashed there last weekend, better be careful.

6. Member
    I ‘talked’ to a guy years ago that said dragging a football jig was the ticket and 6 pounders weren’t uncommon. I haven’t fished it myself, but yes this is the lake where the state record came from almost a century ago. I researched this record and talked with biologists from the DNR to no evail about the validity of the record due to the time period it was caught. I’ve heard a couple story’s about shocking records over the past decade that suggest there was a new record in another lake close to there though. This ‘story’ was confirmed by three different people about two similar lakes. The biologist I spoke to from the DNR also confirmed it is possible that there are bass big enough to break this record.

Just some food for thought.

7. Member
    I lived 5 minutes from there for the last 6 years. It used to be decent but now it’s not great. There are weeknight tournaments there fairly often. 13lbs is a winning type bag. Nobody ever catches a fish bigger than a 4lbs and some change. Half the boats don’t even catch a limit. West Michigan bass has some tournaments there if you want to check results.

8. Member
    Interesting lake. We really had to work to catch some keepers. Largest fish was about 3#. No issues with the launch or anyone messing with the truck or trailer. Seemed like the lake has been sprayed. Some weeds on the breaks an nothing much deep. My cousin has some idea where to take his grandsons fishing now anyway. He's taking them to the West Michigan Youth tournament this week. Should be fun for them anyway! Thanks for all the info.