Towing with cover on

Have any of y’all towed much with the cover on? Any issues with rubbing the gelcoat?

2. Member
    I've towed many times with mine on. The covers aren't very heavy made. Thin and lightweight. I had one that out of box the threads were ripped out at ratchet strap cover. Had a second one out of box ripped at dash where sonar zipper is. Picking up my 3rd cover now. Towing seemed ok at all speeds for me. Cover straps tight just below rub rails. so far no noticeable rubbing on gel.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahala View Post
    Have any of y’all towed much with the cover on? Any issues with rubbing the gelcoat?
    The key to towing with a cover Bryan is to keep it real tight especially a new one. If you are going very far its a good ideal to stop and tighten it every now until you get it fitted real good to your boat.

4. Member
    Thank you both. I hate to hear you have had issues Bill. I went by to look at the Caymas I’m buying and noticed the cover was thinner and not lined like the one off my Bass Cat. We will get it cinched down tight and keep an eye on it when traveling.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahala View Post
    Thank you both. I hate to hear you have had issues Bill. I went by to look at the Caymas I’m buying and noticed the cover was thinner and not lined like the one off my Bass Cat. We will get it cinched down tight and keep an eye on it when traveling.
    Thanks, caymas is still working out bugs and vendors. Customer feedback makes things better. I towed mine from Caymas plant to Murray Ky, and cover stayed tight. The cover is thin, has two built in vents for quick air flow,drying and air circulation. The problem the cover does have is thin sewing threads. That needs to be addressed. I also find the ratchets are to heavy. Could use smaller, lighter ratchets with rubber coating. The cover also seems to be made for the ultrex. I have the ghost on mine. Cover has to much excess material up front.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billproxs View Post
    Thanks, caymas is still working out bugs and vendors. Customer feedback makes things better. I towed mine from Caymas plant to Murray Ky, and cover stayed tight. The cover is thin, has two built in vents for quick air flow,drying and air circulation. The problem the cover does have is thin sewing threads. That needs to be addressed. I also find the ratchets are to heavy. Could use smaller, lighter ratchets with rubber coating. The cover also seems to be made for the ultrex. I have the ghost on mine. Cover has to much excess material up front.
    Are they doing anything to address these issues? I store my boat outside and having a secure cover is very important.
    Randy Almeida
    2023 Caymas CX21
    Mercury Pro XS

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by randy_almeida View Post
    Are they doing anything to address these issues? I store my boat outside and having a secure cover is very important.
    As of right now, No. They don't see it as an issue.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billproxs View Post
    As of right now, No. They don't see it as an issue.
    That’s disappointing to hear. I hope I don’t have issues with my cover.
    Randy Almeida
    2023 Caymas CX21
    Mercury Pro XS

9. Member
    Each situation is different. You may not have any issues at all.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by randy_almeida View Post
    That’s disappointing to hear. I hope I don’t have issues with my cover.
    They are on top of it Randy !!

11. BBC SPONSOR
    I've never took my cover out of the box. I keep it in a 3 sided carport. When I tow I just leave it uncovered. That's just me I guess.