New to me 1989 269V question

Hello and thanks for reading

I am the proud owner of a stratos boat!! I am having some issues with it.
    I couldn't get it to plane out for anything. I had a 13X19 prop on it and picked up a 4 blade 15 pitch prop today. That has helped out a lot but still have a little issue of getting up on plane. The motor is a 1989 Johnson 110 HP by the way The boat does plane out nice but it takes about 20 seconds and now the rpms are up a lot. The 19 pitch was 4200 RPM max and the new prop is doing 5500 rpm. Still getting the same speed out of it (36 tops)
    This boat seems like it is back end heavy. Motor, 15 gallon fuel tank, and 3 batteries all right in the rear. Also I am right there too! What do you guys do to get some weight in the front of the boat??? I don't have room for batteries up there. I tried to fill the bait well today but that didnt seem to affect it much. I figured these boats are designed this way??? But why does it take so long to get it up?
    I have a stingray hydrofoil I am going to put on it and see if that is better but would like the everyone's input

Thanks

AndyResized_20200722_191226001.jpeg

2. Member
    The foil will help but that 110 HP probably is a little low in torque at low rpm. Sounds like your new prop is closer to what you need. you might could get that prop worked a little (PVS holes added) to help with hole shot you should be right there.

3. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Check for water logged hull then check basics,,,link and sync, linkage is bind free and timing is advancing and carbs are opening 100%. Compression. Don't go throwing props at a motor that may just need tuned....

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!

I agree with both the above posts. Make sure it's running correctly, check for water logged and then work on prop if all else checks out. My guess is you have several hundred pounds of water logged foam in the boat.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

5. Member
    Nice boat . It's the Cat riding on the back end .....to much weight .