1999 Mercury EFI 150 hp ignition question ????

1999 EFI 150 hp . Serial # OG843325 . Needing some advice on an inconsistent ignition problem with my motor . I have owned the motor for 14 years .It has been well taken care of and due to its age within the last year I have posted questions about issues I have had on BBC and have had awesome responses and I have the motor running as good as the day I got it or maybe even better . In the past year I have replaced all fuel lines, Mercury primer bulb and the mechanical fuel pump . New fuel filter . I just put a new complete water pump kit on it and today I put new high performance plug wires from Bobs machine shop on it . Plugs may be about 2 yrs old so I left them for now . My only issue that is left to work out is my ignition. There are certain times it will fire right up and other times it will start and die . I give it a second and it fires up most of the time on the second try . Does anyone have any idea what I need to do to improve this . I have a group 31 AGM Duracell battery for cranking . It’s been in the boat for 4 years. I’m pretty sure it isn’t a voltage issue because I can run live well and Electronics all day and not have a problem . I have never ran anything in my gas other than Stabil when I ran ethanol gas . After replacing all the fuel lines I have vowed to only use 93 grade non ethanol and I believe it has made a huge difference. I do a lot of idling looking for fish offshore on electronics and there always is a lot of carbon build up on inside of prop . I noticed when I replaced the water pump there was carbon on the drive shaft . I also saw that the guy that put the brand new lower unit on never put gasket sealer on the exhaust dam too so I made sure I did that . Is there anything else I can do to improve the turn of key start up ? I would do whatever I need to do to fix this . If anyone has any suggestions I would really appreciate it . I want to keep this thing running like new as long as I can .

2. Member
    has anything been taken off mtr like oil inj or any modules ???
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

No . The mtr is completely stock .

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    The fuel you are running is not helping. Unless your engine has been modified, it calls for 87 octane fuel.

Higher octane fuels burn slower and cooler- and on engines such as yours, they cannot burn completely which results in a rich condition.

Choose your fuels based on the correct criteria, IN THE CORRECT ORDER:

1. High-Traffic, Name-Brand, Top-Tier Fuel Station

2. CORRECT Octane for your engine (87).

3. Lowest Possible Ethanol Content available in the above (never to exceed 10%).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Thanks for the info . I will not worry about using 93 now . But I had the same starting issue when I used 87 as well . Any idea what else I could try ?

6. Member
    might advance idle timming just touch
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

I have also noticed the motor is non responsive to accelerating until you depress the hotfoot on the second push of the pedal . I cannot figure out what I need to do to correct this .

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by flashmob View Post
    I have also noticed the motor is non responsive to accelerating until you depress the hotfoot on the second push of the pedal . I cannot figure out what I need to do to correct this .
    What part tn you from?

Johnson City TN .

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by flashmob View Post
    Johnson City TN .
    10 4. Prob just few hrs from me. Now when u say depress throttle. So motor wont rev up until u left off throttle and hit it again?

Yes. It eventually works itself out and runs ok .

I put Chris Carson Marine Reeds in my motor and it corrected the problem . Amazing difference in over all performance . Starts up great and after I went through all hose connections with VST and I also put stuffer blocks on it too . Couldn’t be happier . Thanks for all that helped me !!!

13. Member