Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wake Bait 411???

Anybody have experience and info on Wake Baits? We have clear + water, and weeds are just overwhelming by late August. I am thinking that a Wake Bait might could work over coontail, or sparse milfoil (if I can find any that's sparse). Milfoil typically tops out at the surface in as much as 25'-28' OW here. We have LM & SM, but really hope to catch SM. Sometimes, a LM will surprise us, tho. Lazy things, aren't they?
    Don't bother me, I'm screwing for virginity.

I killed a 12-pack just to watch it die.

2. Member
    The Jackall Pompadour has been killing it for me in very similar conditions. Im throwing it in Bone.

3. Member
    I like the Jackall Mickey, in standard and senior size. I also like the MS Slammer, but for smallmouth you would need the smaller 7" size.

4. Member
    I like the bandit footloose. nice selection on ebay... Subwart nice too. Had some luckycraft wake baits but didn't seem to catch much.

Quote Originally Posted by Alumicraft145 View Post
    I like the bandit footloose. nice selection on ebay... Subwart nice too. Had some luckycraft wake baits but didn't seem to catch much.
    "Subwart"? = https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Stor...age-SARWK.html ???

John Jackson's "MS Slammer"....found that with Google...ain't happening for $$$ reasons!

I figure I'll need to use 40 lb braid or 17+ lb copolymer, fairly fast reel (6:1) and a reasonably stout rod to have any hope of getting good one out of the weeds. I can put such a combo together from stock on hand, but also rules out stuff under 1/2 oz.
    Last edited by Walkabout7781; 07-30-2020 at 01:57 PM.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Walkabout7781 View Post
    "Subwart"? = https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Stor...age-SARWK.html ???

John Jackson's "MS Slammer"....found that with Google...ain't happening for $$$ reasons!

I figure I'll need to use 40 lb braid or 17+ lb copolymer, fairly fast reel (6:1) and a reasonably stout rod to have any hope of getting good one out of the weeds. I can put such a combo together from stock on hand, but also rules out stuff under 1/2 oz.
    A Rapala BX minnow is a good waking bait that can be thrown on lighter tackle.

Was looking aat the BX Minnow in an old BPS catalog, but it looks like the Rainbow Trout color has been discontinued. I've always found the color to work really well here. Dang! Smelt might work, with a bit of red or pink Sharpie stripe down the sides.

8. Member
    Spro rat 40 and 50 size.
    2023 Phoenix 819 pro
    2023 200 Pro XS 4s 3B373365

pond boat
    2020 pelican Bass raider 10E

If u can find a SK Wake shad it's a good choice. 6th Sense just came out with a speed wake as well.

The good old Manns 1- on 20lb mono, high stick the rod and crank fast and hold on.

11. Member
    I have my best luck with wake baits in spring and fall. During the summer I will switch to a crankbait that runs just under the surface like a Lucky Craft Moonsault CB001 or a Mann's Baby 1 minus.
    2016 Ranger RT188, Yamaha 115 sho, dual console, 80# Ultrex, hotfoot, networked HB Solix 10 & Helix 9, Mega 360. Powertech NRS3 18p, Atlas 4" jack plate.

12. Member
    If the water is that clear, and the cover is that plentiful, you should try a glide bait. Start with the S-Waver 168 and move up to an Arashi Glide. You’ll see lots of followers.

13. Member
    jointed redfin

Quote Originally Posted by willwork4fish View Post
    jointed redfin
    That has been THE wakebait in this area for years. Getting one to wake right out of the box is a challenge, order three of them and you should get one that works. The trebs suck and should be changed out, and a suspend strip on the bottom will help your casting as they are tough to throw. I use braid and you will have to hold your rod tip up high to get them to wake at the end of a long cast. All in all a PITA, but when the fish want them they are a great bait.

Berkley has come out with the 'Surge Shad' which looks suspiciously like a Redfin. I haven't fished one, but one of the Table Rock guides has and claims it is a good wake bait.

15. Member
    Goto ebay... Search subwarts. Great fish catcher. bandit Footloose also. I try the redfin deal, never could get it to work. I catch a lot of sm on bluegill footloose and subwart.

Still watching this topic and bookmarking baits at various sources. Keep 'em coming!

17. Member
    Bullshad 4x4 wake. Another great one is the black dog baits G2 shellcracker.
    2023 Phoenix 819 pro
    2023 200 Pro XS 4s 3B373365

pond boat
    2020 pelican Bass raider 10E

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Quillback View Post
    That has been THE wakebait in this area for years. Getting one to wake right out of the box is a challenge, order three of them and you should get one that works. The trebs suck and should be changed out, and a suspend strip on the bottom will help your casting as they are tough to throw. I use braid and you will have to hold your rod tip up high to get them to wake at the end of a long cast. All in all a PITA, but when the fish want them they are a great bait.

Berkley has come out with the 'Surge Shad' which looks suspiciously like a Redfin. I haven't fished one, but one of the Table Rock guides has and claims it is a good wake bait.
    You can take a lighter to the bill of the ones that don't work and fiddle with it and get them to wake. It is a PITA though. I bought a Berkley and a Bomber jointed minnow, didn't like the Berkley it didn't wake the way I wanted but the Bomber was great out of the box. Maybe I got lucky.

19. Member
    They crush this Magnum Long A, wakes like a snake or 1 to 3 feet under the surface depending how fast you reel it.
    53f67d6a87d32_118075b.jpg

20. Member
    Some footloose and baby 1 minus for sale on other board.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast