Thread: 2013 Pro XS 250

2013 Pro XS 250

While on vacation, launched the boat. The first few minutes the boat performs normally. Stop, fish for awhile, restart the big motor, no problem starting. Hit the throttle and the motor starts to grumble, shake and only hit 1900 rpms. Tried restarting, and it still the same. My buddy told me it is the coil packs, I did some quick research and one of the symptoms of a bad coil pack is hard starting. Thats not the case here. Before I start throwing money at this or have a viking funeral. any ideas where i can begin? Was looking at scanners, thats not happening Thanks in advance

2. Member
    Any alarms?

3. Member
    no alarms

4. Member
    possible heat soak problem causing fuel to boil and vaporize
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the REQUIRED Info (serial number) when posting. Thanks!

If you pump the primer bulb firm and start the engine, will it accelerate normally? You SHOULD be pumping the bulb firm before EVERY engine start (especially important in these warmer temps).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Serial number is 1B918282 i havent tried that. I never had to do that since I bought the boat 4 years ago. I have never pumped the primer bulb since I bought it. It starts fine. Runs fine when cold. Once you shut it off and restart it after about 10 minutes , it goes into limp mode.

7. Member
    I tried what you suggested pumping the bulb. Nothing changed

8. Member
    Test the shift position switch with a DVOM.

9. Member
    I will give it a try. That switch would be ok when its cold but when it warms up to running temp, the switch would only be short when its hot?

10. Member
    The shift position sensor is fine. Guess NO ONE ever had this issue! Thank you!!

11. Member
    Seen several do that with a dirty fuel filter