I NEED HELP! Ranger 482V

I have a 92 Ranger 482V with a 92 Fast Strike 150, jackplate, 24P raker. Recently trying to get more top end with no luck.
    (Weight has not changed for any of the tests. One tank empty one tank about 3/4, passengers equalling 350. Lbs, equipment about 100 lbs.)

Test #1 (how the boat was when I bought it)
    Jackplate all the way down, prop shaft 4" below pad, 52mph @wot of 4800rpm

Test #2 jackplate raised to 3 1/4" below pad, 50mph @wot of 5000rpm.

Now I'm confused I raised my rpm by 200 but lost 2 mph. I'm going in the wrong direction. The boat gets on pad like a rocket ship then just slowly and I mean slowly gains speed. Like a middle to 30mph. Shoots a rooster tail of I trim up like always. What am I doing wrong? What should I try next? My max rpm is 5500 so I'm low 500 help me out here.

2. Member
    Not wanting to be the grim reaper. Maybe down on power? Bad fuel? Have you done a compression check? Maybe check that nothing is wrong in the gear case. Check that the throttle is opening all the way. There are more qualified folks than myself, just trying to give a starting point.

3. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Tach could be off...

4. Member
    Prop too stiff? This is the time of year that my carb motors lose 2 - 300 rpm due to heat and humidity.
    2022 Hog Island Skiff
    Johnson 70/40 jet

Bouncin' off rocks, and catching the smallies.

Potomac River Smallmouth Guide

Owner of Potomac Custom Tackle

5. Member
    Your gaining rpm's but losing speed means your too high prop to pad. Start dropping motor 1/4" at a time until you get your speed back. The older Johnson/Evinrude's ran lower than a mercury does and if that prop is old it probably needs to be repaired back to factory spec. New plugs, rebuild the carbs to get the old plastic parts out and new alcohol resistant ones in and change you gas lines.

6. Member
    Motor was overhauled a year ago according to the paperwork I was given and a new lower unit. Where is a good place to have my prop checked out? Should I drop to a 22p prop? 4 blade? Change my jackplate setup?

7. Member
    You raised it up 3/4" and lost bite. You might try getting the current prop worked with a little more cupping added, trailing edge and tip cup. YOu can run a cupped prop a little higher and not lose bite.

8. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    id be checking your tach is correct before doing anything.

9. Member
    What's the best way to check a tach?

10. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett4 View Post
    What's the best way to check a tach?
    hook up a tiny tach and compare your dash tach to it. if you have a fuel injected outboard can run nema to a graph and read engine interface direct from computer ( most accurate)

11. Member
    What is ur water pressure at WOT?u may be too low still.

12. Member
    Johnson's run lower than Merc's so you may be too high and I'd have the prop checked by Mark Croxton {Mark's Props}

13. Member
    Well today was the last straw with this thing. I have raised and lowered the jackplate so much on this thing and the best I can do is with it all the way down running 52mph and 4900-5000 rpm. Not a lot of lift up front either. What do you guys recommend? New prop? Get mine reworked? Engine runs greats just doesn't spin very fast

14. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett4 View Post
    Well today was the last straw with this thing. I have raised and lowered the jackplate so much on this thing and the best I can do is with it all the way down running 52mph and 4900-5000 rpm. Not a lot of lift up front either. What do you guys recommend? New prop? Get mine reworked? Engine runs greats just doesn't spin very fast
    did you confirm tach reading is correct?

15. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    Johnson's like to run lower and try a 23 Renegade that should bring up your rpms or send your prop to Mark croxton and have him add some cup for more bow lift
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

16. Member
    I just restored a 390V with a fresh 200XP. Definitely heavier then stock. No matter what i did, I could not get it to lift with a 3 blade. 52-54mph at around 5200rpm. Now running a 4 blade 24p Trophy Plus. 64mph at 5800rpm. I'm still dialing it in, but its getting there. Not saying this is your problem but if you know your motor is healthy a 4 blade might be worth trying.

17. Member
    The prop needs to be checked. It sounds like some one worked it and added cup which it didn't need and that makes it close to a 25" prop which the motor won't pull. A 23 tempest or a 22 raker should perform better that that raker you have now.

I would be running a Bravo on that heavy underpowered boat
    Thank You Leon Pugh

19. Member
    Well I've been trying to get ahold of marks with no luck, anyone know how to?