Question Cougar FTD Front Compartments 3600 and 3700 Storage Slots

In my Cougar there are 2 different sized Plano storage slots. 1 in each of the two big center storage compartments. They're used to strap down a handful of Plano boxes if you choose. They came stock on my 2017. They're glued in somehow I assume. Anyway, they get on my nerves more than they serve a purpose for me. I'd like to take them out.

1. Has anyone removed them and what would be a clean and safe way to do this? Whatever they're glued in with seems to be pretty good stuff.

2. Would this hurt the resale value of the boat?

For the way I operate, I haven't put them to good use and they're in the way more than anything else. Does anybody use those straps and lock a few boxes down?
    I constantly find myself just setting boxes on top of them and wishing they weren't there.

Thanks!!

2. Member
    My guess is that the factory used the Eroflex adhesive as they do in other areas. If so, applying some gentle heat and then prying with a scraper will get it off. Heating the leading edge of the scraper will help too. If it is Euroflex, that is how I removed the battery trays in my P2. Should not affect resale at all.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

3. Member
    I have a 2016 Cougar FTD and don’t have any slots. I am the second owner. I’m not sure if the first owner removed them or if they didn’t exist in the 2016 boxes.
    2023 Puma STS

4. Member
    Just give them a good tug, they will come out.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by crwood View Post
    Just give them a good tug, they will come out.
    I can't make myself do that

It will take more than a good tug to remove them in urethane. We would either wedge them up or try to slowly remove them. The urethane will possibly rip the fiberglass as it bites very hard.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BassCatKev View Post
    I can't make myself do that
    Maybe they changed what they use to affix them to the compartment floor, but I know on both of my boats they had some sort of black gum looking adhesive or silicone and I literally pulled them off.

8. Member
    I'm taking zero chances on ripping fiberglass. Thanks for the advice BCB and others. I read them all. I think I need to leave good enough alone and just use them. I'll take some boxes that I use infrequently and strap those down in them and then work around it.