1994 204 w/2008 E-Tec 250... 3 weeks of running, 70mph, but...

Finally, got the new lake house closed and got the 204 in the water and on the lift. I've been using it now for about 3 weeks and I'm really enjoying it. A couple observations...

1. Taking everyone advice and dropping the engine really helped the steering issue! Turning left at high speed is still more difficult than turning right, but I can let go of the wheel and it tracks straight! Thanks!

2. Every time I've gone out, I've spent time running the boat at higher speeds, again taking everyone's advice and getting more seat time. The boat still is a handful over 65mph, I was able to hit 70 on gps, but neither the boat or myself were happy about it. A couple thoughts here. The best results were using Pat's advice and trying to keep the chine from starting in the first place by accelerating into a wide left turn. But no matter how I get to speed a severe chine always comes, and comes in quick. Like I've said before I've driven fast boats (120+) and walking was part of it, and honestly not a big deal. I'm sure I'm still learning what it's like in a bass boat, but this feels more like darting than walking. My guess is maybe there is still too much boat in the water. With the lack of rear storage in the 204 and the 23 degree raker, am I getting enough bow lift? The boat is much more stable with the live wells full and plenty of fuel.

3. Another thought is like I said above, with the steering being harder to turn left at speed, I find it harder to make small accurate corrections. Pat suggested I add a torque tab, I have it but haven't installed it yet just because I wanted to get a good feel for how the boat runs without it, so it'll be easier to feel the difference after. My question is since the boat is tracking straight will the torque tab reduce the effort needed to turn left at speed?

4. I don't need this boat to run mid-70's, I fish for fun and may do a few small tournaments a year. So if I can get her to run stable in the high 60's I'd be thrilled. Does a 4-blade prop do anything from a stability standpoint?

Any Thoughts

ThanksIMG_5049.jpgIMG_5007.jpgIMG_5019.jpgIMG_5010.jpg
    2020 Nitro Z20
    250hp Mercury Pro XS

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    I think you are going to find that the Etec has a built in torque tab in the skeg need to look closely, you'll see it is wider and has a flare on the right side of it. You may need to drop down a little more. I may have missed it in your original post but what are you running for a prop on it now? RPMs and H20 pressure when you can run it?