Batteries - Sizes and voltage

New to bass boating and the '95 Cajun I just picked up does not have the correct battery installed. The previous owner has a way oversized deepcycle that overhangs the battery box. This this leads me to a couple questions if anyone can help:

What size battery should be in this boat?
    I see 2 battery boxes, does it need two?

There are cables but no battery in the forward compartment for the trolling motor, should there also be a battery here?

Sorry if these questions seem ridiculous, I'm just not sure how this is supposed to be setup. Thanks in advance.

2. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Typically you have a starting battery that in addition to its cranking duties, also runs the livewells, nav & anchor lights, electronics and the tilt & trim. This can be accomplished with a marine cranking or dual purpose battery. I wouldn't use anything smaller than a group 27. Most trolling motors in the vintage of your boat were 12/24v capable and there could have been some 12v motors which would explain the on other battery tray. I would make sure there is not evidence that another tray has been mounted in the back in the past. Here again, I'd use a group 27 deep cycle for TM batteries. You might provide identifying information about your trolling motor, brand, model, etc. and perhaps some pictures of it and of the battery compartment would help out.

3. Member
    Thanks for the help, the trolling motor is a Minn Kota Powerdrive V2. I have read many positive experiences with unit so far, but I also haven't yet used it myself.

4. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    If that is a 50 or 55 lb thrust, it's a 12v trolling motor. Over 55 is 24v.

5. Member
    Thanks for the info. My post above should have read "I haven't read many positive...." so we'll see how it goes. Something else I may need to replace as it seems like a problematic TM for many others in the forums.