Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
  1. Member
    The bottom of that boat has been beat all to hell wtf he except l

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dougie442 View Post
    To be clear. The AVX2080 in the pictures above did not crack all by itself during normal use or due to bunk stress. I can assure this hull crack was without a doubt due to impact with a solid object. The people who have examined this boat in person, including myself, the dealer, Vexus reps, the structural repair company that performed the repair, all agree that a solid object impact created the large dent surrounding the split in the hull. The repair was performed not only on the outside but the inside as well.
    The stringer welds inside the boat where the dent was were also cracked due to the impact. So this was not a case of poor design, poor manufacture, metal forming, etc.
    Actually, once inside the hull the structural design and fabrication appears to have limited the damage to being much worse. It just so happens the impact was in an area between the center stringer and first string off the center stringer, which is only an area 5" wide. So if impact would've been a little left or right, damage would've been directly on a stringer. Boats always hit stuff. This was a bit unlucky.
    obviously a huge dent. Surprised it could be repaired at all. A post like that should be deleted by mods being it’s obviously user caused.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sandman7925 View Post
    obviously a huge dent. Surprised it could be repaired at all. A post like that should be deleted by mods being it’s obviously user caused.
    My first AVX cracked on the stamp bend, I can tell you that the only thing that boat had ever "hit" was the water. Secondly, my dealer during my crack said "if you were to have hit something big enough or at speed it should crack on the weld as that would be the weakest point in the aluminum. I have rolled over many stumps at idle speeds and hit one at idle speed that I can say certainly dented the hull but even then it should not crack if, and if anyone at Vexus would say bumping into stumps with aluminum is in fact crack my boat, I am going to sell and get my aluminum Lowe back because that boat has been beat right the F by me and never had an issue with that hull. However that is not the case from Vexus, They fixed my hull and I have not had a problem since. (knock on wood)

If I took picture right now at the bottom of my hole it would look like its dented when reality its called light refraction and the refraction in the photo can sometime make something look much worse than what it is, also the is so much reflection on the bottom of the boat due to the paint, clear coat, and wax. Saying for certain by looking at a photo and not in person that is cracked do to and impact is straight BS from anyone who says it was.

So many experts in here about all the aluminum however the closest thing they have come to working on said aluminum is crushing cans.
    Last edited by ksmith3510; 02-08-2021 at 11:40 AM.

4. Member
    So obvious that the user cut the straw.

PKESS5214_inline.png

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ksmith3510 View Post
    My first AVX cracked on the stamp bend, I can tell you that the only thing that boat had ever "hit" was the water. Secondly, my dealer during my crack said "if you were to have hit something big enough or at speed it should crack on the weld as that would be the weakest point in the aluminum. I have rolled over many stumps at idle speeds and hit one at idle speed that I can say certainly dented the hull but even then it should not crack if, and if anyone at Vexus would say bumping into stumps with aluminum is in fact crack my boat, I am going to sell and get my aluminum Lowe back because that boat has been beat right the F by me and never had an issue with that hull. However that is not the case from Vexus, They fixed my hull and I have not had a problem since. (knock on wood)

If I took picture right now at the bottom of my hole it would look like its dented when reality its called light refraction and the refraction in the photo can sometime make something look much worse than what it is, also the is so much reflection on the bottom of the boat due to the paint, clear coat, and wax. Saying for certain by looking at a photo and not in person that is cracked do to and impact is straight BS from anyone who says it was.

So many experts in here about all the aluminum however the closest thing they have come to working on said aluminum is crushing cans.
    Not sure if the pictures from post 59 are your boat or not. But yes there is obviously a huge dent in the bottom of the boat. Now if that impact damage caused the split who knows but my 14 years in inspection/metallurgy tells me it would be safe assumption. If not it's one hellavu coincidence. I'll check back later when I'm crushing cans...need to get back to inserting the pictures I intentionally took at just the right angle on this report to get the engineers attention.

It's ALIVE again

7. Member
    It lives!
    2020 VEXUS 1880 Victor Red
    Merc 115 HP Pro XS
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80 I-Link MDI
    Helix 10 MEGA+ MSI
    Helix 9 x 2 MEGA+ MDI
    Live Image FFS
    2021 Aluminum Trailer
    10' Talons w/sandwich brackets

8. Member
    This thread used to bug me, but I’m over it. It does pass on important information about the 2 or 3 people who have had cracks in their aluminum Vexus boats. And if we can keep it pinned to the top maybe we are helping the non-Vexus owners justify why they come here to post. Love my Vexus! And it has an Evinrude G2 outboard. Oh my, that could be a topic right there we could dwell on too.
    white Vexus AVX 1980 - white Evinrude G2 150hp HO

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbug View Post
    This thread used to bug me, but I’m over it. It does pass on important information about the 2 or 3 people who have had cracks in their aluminum Vexus boats. And if we can keep it pinned to the top maybe we are helping the non-Vexus owners justify why they come here to post. Love my Vexus! And it has an Evinrude G2 outboard. Oh my, that could be a topic right there we could dwell on too.
    Yeah Jimbug just pull the plug and make a insurance claim. Its all junk. HAHA....there I beat them too it. Love mine too!
    2020 VEXUS 1880 Victor Red
    Merc 115 HP Pro XS
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80 I-Link MDI
    Helix 10 MEGA+ MSI
    Helix 9 x 2 MEGA+ MDI
    Live Image FFS
    2021 Aluminum Trailer
    10' Talons w/sandwich brackets

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tghtlines View Post
    In short, not weld related and the manufacturer is standing behind their product(again). What did the factory say potentially caused the crack? I have never quite understood the purpose behind posts like this though. I see it often. It solves absolutely nothing, other than stirring up shit. So out of curiosity, what is it that an owner wishes to gain by posting an issue in which the resolution is already being worked on by the manufacturer?? Some sort of validation? Commiseration? There is absolutely nothing anyone on the internet can do fix the issue.......nothing. Though, some think other wise.
    I will never fully understand the current generations logic of problem solving. Call your dealer(on a telephone), get it fixed and move on. Pretty damn straight forward I think. No need for validation as there is obviously an issue. Maybe I am just old school and/or had plenty of warranty claims over the course of my 25+ years of boat ownership.
    Because people doing research for a new boat need to know if there are systemic issues with a product or if they are uncommon events, often caused by an operator. I am looking at a new 1880 or 1980. Happy to see there are not many crack issues reported so far. I have to get a deposit back on a Ranger RT188 and there are many reports of hull cracks....of course they've been around longer too.

Greg
    Caldwell, ID

11. Member
    Well, this post has convinced me to stay with a fiberglass boat. Too much money to gamble on tin boats......

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Boat4Life View Post
    Well, this post has convinced me to stay with a fiberglass boat. Too much money to gamble on tin boats......

Yep, a few people on the internet of hundreds of boats had an issue that was fixed. Definitely stick with fiberglass.
    Sapphire Blue/Black Bottom Vexus AVX 1980, Mercury 150 Pro XS

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Boat4Life View Post
    Got the pleasure of meeting Kieth D at an Expo that was hosted when the Classics were happening in Ft Worth. He assured me that they had received a batch of bad aluminum and the entire batch was not bad but there were a few after the stamping process that made the aluminum weaker in the area's that were cracking. I have not seen a post or heard of a crack happening for quite sometime now and I believe the problem has been addressed and fixed. My boat has been almost flawless since I have got it back and have really enjoyed my time on the water.

14. Member
    Still loving my 2019 Vexus AVX1980/G2 after two years plus. I still think this thread is important for those that are seeking knowledge about everything that has gone wrong with their Vexus AVX. As rare as a cracked Vexus hull may be, it’s important to be open about those few cases. It’s important to report what Vexus did to correct the situation for the affected owner. If Vexus has recognized the cause that is important to share as well.

The price of my 2019 AVX seems like such a bargain now two years later as I see used ones sell for more than I paid. I’m putting less hours on it this year since my fishing buddy got a new 2021 21’ Phoenix bass boat. His 4Runner sure doesn’t like that big Phoenix compared to my lightweight AVX, so that is something to think about plus fuel economy of that big V8 motor as well. I appreciate both fiberglass and aluminum bass boats. I choose to have an aluminum one at this point in my life. I don’t know of another aluminum bass boat that is as well designed and built as the Vexus AVX. The people at Vexus from the builders, to the managers, to the owners are the best in the industry in my opinion.
    white Vexus AVX 1980 - white Evinrude G2 150hp HO

15. Member
    Good to know. I absolutely love the DVX boats, they are one of the top fiberglass builds in my opinion. When it come to aluminum, I just can’t get past the fact that Lund has the proven hull, it’s a double riveted, double ply, deep V tank that’s designed to crush Great Lakes rollers. Most of the aluminum boats out there are designed with shallow river running in mind. Thank you for letting us know Vexus stands behind their craftsmanship, that is important to know that their customer service is good. These kinds of posts are exactly what we need to give the consumer power and keep ALL companies on their toes!

16. Member
    Well my 2019 1880 cracked a weld also back in the spring vexus fixed the crack and reinforced it and repainted the front bottom a week or so later all the paint has peeled off the front of now it's gotta go back to the plant again it's just flat out in called for !!!!

17. Member
    I have a Vexus AVX 1980, 2019. Yesterday I almost lost my boat and could have been worse when it starting taking on water for no apparent reason. Ended up beaching my boat to find out my that battery compartment was almost filled with water. I was fortunate enough that I got it trailered and out of the water. Took my boat to Rock Outdoors where I purchased it and the service technician knew exactly where to look for the leak in my boat. He said this is a common issue with this year make and model from Vexus. Just to let everyone know I've never hit an object with this boat and there are no dents or dings near the split. The grass in the below pictures is from me beaching it so it wouldn't sink. Has anyone else experience this and has Vexus put out a recall on these boats because of the serious safety issues they pose? I've been defending Vexus ever since I got this boat, especially against people who own Ranger Bass Boats. Since I've had this boat I've had to take it in several times for the following:
    *Trolling motor issues--Minn Kota Ultrex--Chip causing issues locking up the trolling motor--finally fixed
    *Bulg in deck flooring--still an issue
    *Charging unit had to be replaced-drained all three of my batteries
    *Gas line to tank recall issue--leaking gas and fumes in battery/engine compartment
    *Lastly a hull split up in the front underneath--which I'm now informed is an issue with these boats see below picture
    NOTE: Bold/Italicized areas are significant safety issues that could have caused loss of property or injury to occupants on this craft.

20220427_161242.jpg20220427_161242.jpg

This is a serious safety issue and people can loose their property and possibly cause injury or death. The amount of water that came into my craft was crazy and luckily, my saving grace with this issue were two things the bilge pump and me getting this boat up on plane a little so I wouldn't take on more water get back to the dock . I was thinking it was a plug or water intake for the livewell issue. Had to beach it first to get my truck/trailer to pull it out so it wouldn't take on more water. I was very fortunate this boat didn't sink. It never dawned on me to think about the hull splitting like this. Now Rock Outdoors is having to send my boat back to Vexus to replace the hull. This doesn't sound right. Vexus really needs to recall all these craft and do a complete stress test and fix this issue before selling or giving them back to the owners.
    Last edited by Mbsquare; 04-28-2022 at 09:11 AM.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mbsquare View Post
    I have a Vexus AVX 1980, 2019. Yesterday I almost lost my boat and could have been worse when it starting taking on water for no apparent reason. Ended up beaching my boat to find out my that battery compartment was almost filled with water. I was fortunate enough that I got it trailered and out of the water. Took my boat to Rock Outdoors where I purchased it and the service technician knew exactly where to look for the leak in my boat. He said this is a common issue with this year make and model from Vexus. Just to let everyone know I've never hit an object with this boat and there are no dents or dings near the split. The grass in the below pictures is from me beaching it so it wouldn't sink. Has anyone else experience this and has Vexus put out a recall on these boats because of the serious safety issues they pose? I've been defending Vexus ever since I got this boat, especially against people who own Ranger Bass Boats. Since I've had this boat I've had to take it in several times for the following:
    *Trolling motor issues--Minn Kota Ultrex--Chip causing issues locking up the trolling motor--finally fixed
    *Bulg in deck flooring--still an issue
    *Charging unit had to be replaced-drained all three of my batteries
    *Lastly a hull split up in the front underneath--which I'm now informed is an issue with these boats see below picture

20220427_161242.jpg20220427_161242.jpg

This is a serious safety issue and people can loose their property and possibly cause injury or death. The amount of water that came into my craft was crazy and luckily, my saving grace with this issue were two things the bilge pump and me getting this boat up on plane a little so I wouldn't take on more water get back to the dock . I was thinking it was a plug or water intake for the livewell issue. Had to beach it first to get my truck/trailer to pull it out so it wouldn't take on more water. I was very fortunate this boat didn't sink. It never dawned on me to think about the hull splitting like this. Now Rock Outdoors is having to send my boat back to Vexus to replace the hull. This doesn't sound right. Vexus really needs to recall all these craft and do a complete stress test and fix this issue before selling or giving them back to the owners.
    2 1980's both my 2019, 2020 same exact area's. My 2022 build from Vexus is a joke (mainly compartment latching issue's) and my dealer seems to be getting tired of my problems when I brought it in and complained about the build quality of the 2022. Granted Vexus did replace the boat, however there are some obvious workmanship issues some probably part shortage issues and some from rushing the job.

19. Member
    So, you had two hulls have the same issue and Vexus replaced both hulls for you and the new hull you received had different hardware that was inadequate and not to the quality of your 2019 Vexus. How long did it take them to replace your hulls and did they give you a guarantee on the hull they replaced? Did they inform you that they fixed the issues in the hull so we do not have these issues in the future? This seems to be a serious safety issue as far as loss of property and possibly life for customers who have purchased this boat if Vexus hasn't fixed this issue.

I'm curious to see how many other customers have had the hull splitting/cracking issue on this blog.
    Last edited by Mbsquare; 04-28-2022 at 09:14 AM.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mbsquare View Post
    So, you had two hulls have the same issue and Vexus replaced both hulls for you and the new hull you received had different hardware that was inadequate and not to the quality of your 2019 Vexus. How long did it take them to replace your hulls and did they give you a guarantee on the hull they replaced? Did they inform you that they fixed the issues in the hull so we do not have these issues in the future? This seems to be a serious safety issue as far as loss of property and possibly life if the boat has this issue again and sinks the next time around.
    Yes two hulls had the same crack issue appears to be the same bend area when the aluminum is pressed. My first replacement was fairly quick going from a 2019 to a 2020 hull, the 2020 hull cracked and it was a bit longer I would assume due to some major changed in the 2022 hulls. They did add on some stuff and fixed me up with the 2022 console that can hold up to a 12" graph, and did some seadek in the console area for me. They accommodated me pretty good so other than a little hardware issues and mainly the compartment lids I cant complain to much as they did fix me up and got me out on the water. The lids are still functional obviously but IMO not to the Vexus standard as I seen on the prior models and again some of that could be part shortages and getting another brand to supplement the shortage. However it was never an issue getting the hulls replaced through my dealer and Vexus.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast