Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
  1. Member
    I had a 2006 Triton Magnum 197. I think the best aluminum boat ever made. .125 was used on that hull and it had 200 Optimax. No crack issues ever and just sold it 10 months ago. Can't understand why they can't go with the .125 gauge at Vexus. Also, I am very interested in the 1980, but shouldn't a boat that big be rated for more than a 150? Maybe with heavier gauge it would be.

2. Member
    Are you really interested Toby, or are you just here to bump a thread for nothing.
    Sapphire Blue/Black Bottom Vexus AVX 1980, Mercury 150 Pro XS

3. Member
    They seem to have a really good product. I personally don't know anyone with one, or have never seen one in person. I am impressed with the over all construction process as i have seen on the videos. They have seemed to raise the bar in the aluminum market. With that said, I wish they could rate that hull for a 175-200, and utilize the .125 aluminum. How do you like the overall performance of your hull with a full load with the Pro XS 150? That is the motor I would go with.

Those airplanes flying over your house, you'ed shit if you knew how many of those are cracked. Even the CFRP ones.
    Bad spellers of the world untie!

No excuse, simply going to .125 would of course be better. You here much less issues on Xpress boat with cracking, " THE CHEAP BECOMES EXPENSIVE "
    Last edited by boatinpete; 05-09-2022 at 09:03 PM.

6. Member
    Mmm express has their issues too from the research I’ve done

does vexus use .125 in any of their lineup?

7. Member
    mmm express has been building a lot more boats for a lot more years an putting bigger motors on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Gthunter5 View Post
    Mmm express has their issues too from the research I’ve done

does vexus use .125 in any of their lineup?
    Nope.

9. Member
    For about the 1000th time, they use .125 on the transom, along with 5 knee braces made out of .25” aluminum. Do some searching for the video with George Liddle explaining every aspect of the hull construction. There is plenty more to it than most of the experts online that think all they need to do is go to .125 thick aluminum on the entire hull.

Quote Originally Posted by TimS View Post
    For about the 1000th time, they use .125 on the transom, along with 5 knee braces made out of .25” aluminum. Do some searching for the video with George Liddle explaining every aspect of the hull construction. There is plenty more to it than most of the experts online that think all they need to do is go to .125 thick aluminum on the entire hull.
    So is a company with 55 years of experience and tens of thousands of boats built wrong for using .125 aluminum?

11. Member
    Don’t think I ever said or alluded to that. But when a team of people responsible for designing/building/selling more boats over the past 50 years than anyone else thinks it is best to build their boats a certain way, that is plenty good enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
    So is a company with 55 years of experience and tens of thousands of boats built wrong for using .125 aluminum?
    I think he was just correcting you for being wrong in your previous post.

I could be wrong but when most people bring up the .125 aluminum they are asking about the entire hull, not just the transom. But you are correct. They use .125 aluminum in the lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by TimS View Post
    The Transoms are also not where the cracking issues are either. The cracks are occuring where the .100” material is being used so.......
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

15. Member
    I’m guessing 19

Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post

No dog in this fight, but a buddy sent me pics of this one this morning that cracked in VA. The issue with hull cracking doesn't seem to be isolated to one brand!
    Press brake die radius too small and the lower die section is probably worn in that area.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

17. Member
    Some people like me use this site to research a brand to see if the boat or motor or trolling motor is having problems and what the customer service is like if there is a problem.

If problems and the reaction of the manufacturer to the problem and the remedy are not discussed here and HIDDEN AND KEPT SECRET, how can a person research the service and reliability of the product???

I applaud the people brave enough to come on a site with other owners and tell their experiences...good or bad. Just be fair and give a fact based report. Some people here want problems kept secret from potential buyers. Just face the truth. Be honest. Tell the facts. It is a good tool for buyers. No reason to be secret.
    RT188
    I LIKE boats...BUT I LOVE PLANES
    Oh yeah.... I love the RT188 too.

18. Member
    It appears someone has an ax to grind. This post is brought to the top of the board weekly. Therefore it would be dishonest to say anyone is keeping this a secret. “Anther cracked hull !!!” Being brought to the top on a weekly basis could be construed as dishonest if it is the same boat.

The guy had a cracked hull twice and it took some convincing for Vexus to replace which they eventually did. The OP has only 27 posts so it looks like he showed up here to help his cause which is what a lot of people seem to use this forum for. You also see a lot of positive posts here so there is a bit of both.

Vexus has a nice product that just needs a couple of tweeks to make perfect. I would not hesitate to make a Vexus my next boat for the right price.

20. Member
    To be clear. The AVX2080 in the pictures above did not crack all by itself during normal use or due to bunk stress. I can assure this hull crack was without a doubt due to impact with a solid object. The people who have examined this boat in person, including myself, the dealer, Vexus reps, the structural repair company that performed the repair, all agree that a solid object impact created the large dent surrounding the split in the hull. The repair was performed not only on the outside but the inside as well.
    The stringer welds inside the boat where the dent was were also cracked due to the impact. So this was not a case of poor design, poor manufacture, metal forming, etc.
    Actually, once inside the hull the structural design and fabrication appears to have limited the damage to being much worse. It just so happens the impact was in an area between the center stringer and first string off the center stringer, which is only an area 5" wide. So if impact would've been a little left or right, damage would've been directly on a stringer. Boats always hit stuff. This was a bit unlucky.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast