Repower Help - 2020 Merc 250 Proxs conversion. SN# 2B694744

Had my 2011 250 Proxs upgraded to a 2020 250 Proxs 4 stroke on my Ranger Z521 today. Took it right to the lake to run it. Started up fine. Jumped up right on plane and accelerated fine. Was cruising in the 3000 rpm range for the first 20 mins and then accelerated up into the 4000 rpm range. Decided to take it to 5000 rpm and then it began to studder while accelerating...backed off and it runs fine. Accelerated again and it wants to drop rpms like its fuel starved. The propblem definitely is repeatable when accelerating in the 4200-4800 rpms. Any suggestions? The shop that rigged it recommended I remove the fuel line pump bulb.

Plz help!

Hitman
    707-207-1781

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    As I commented already in your PM, I would be looking at the fuel supply system (3/8" straight from the tank to the engine, NO additional filters outside the cowling unless a bypass has been installed inside the cowling).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member

Fixed!

Don, you are da man! Thank you. I cut out the primer bulb and found this issue. Had this issue on my previous Cobra which you pointed me in the right direction back then. Sharing photos for others as a reference.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Can’t believe a dealership would rig one and not replace the fuel line while rigging it...
    glad u got it fixed
    Sterling 22XS / Mercury Pro XS V8

5. Member
    I would replace the entire line from the tank to the motor if not already done.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scott c View Post
    I would replace the entire line from the tank to the motor if not already done.
    +100

7. Banned
    What dealer did you use so that I can avoid them like the plague?

8. Member
    Yes sir...replaced the entire old line with new! Ran great after that....imagine that! LOL

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by low slung cruiser View Post
    Can’t believe a dealership would rig one and not replace the fuel line while rigging it...
    glad u got it fixed
    I just repowered a new pro xs and my dealer used my same fuel lines as well. I also have a primer bulb which they didn't even put a clamp on the bulb to motor. This allowed water to Intrude my low pressure filter because my primer bulb sits in water in my splashwell. Are u saying to take off my bulb? I can put a coupling there to go from 3/8 to 5/16 to the motor.

Quote Originally Posted by bshort View Post
    What dealer did you use so that I can avoid them like the plague?
    If you haven't noticed we humans don't avoid the plague... haha
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

11. mikesxpress
    Quote Originally Posted by dbw1968 View Post
    I just repowered a new pro xs and my dealer used my same fuel lines as well. I also have a primer bulb which they didn't even put a clamp on the bulb to motor. This allowed water to Intrude my low pressure filter because my primer bulb sits in water in my splashwell. Are u saying to take off my bulb? I can put a coupling there to go from 3/8 to 5/16 to the motor.
    If you have a 1-3 year old boat the fuel lines should be ok. NO bulb in the fuel line for these engines!! Some dealers are still new to the installation process and setup on these V8's. The fuel lines/bulb removal and setting the demand/demand linear (idle to WOT) on the hotfoot appear to be the most common problems on a repower.

12. Member
    Well my boat is a 98 Ranger 518 so pretty sure the fuel lines are really old. I'm having trouble finding A15 or b15 fuel lines. I have found b1 lines. Are these accaptale as long as they are low permeable? Can i run 5/16 lines all the way to my gas tanks if i take the bulb out because id have to step down from 3/8 to 5/16 to hook up to motor?
    Dealer could not set my hotfoot and get full throttle. Had to run cable to control box. Is he doing something wrong in the settings?
    Last edited by dbw1968; 08-04-2020 at 06:35 AM.