Thread: RT 188 Livewell

RT 188 Livewell

What are somethings you guys have done to help with fish care in your livewells in the dead heat of summer?

2. Member
    I added the the V2 livewell vents, and keep the pump on auto. Fished in 90 degree heat last 6 weeks, no dead fish.
    2015 Ranger RT188
    2015 115 PRO XS

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    I fished a tournament two weeks ago in 89 degree water, left the fresh water pump running once I had two fish in it and then added my bait bucket recirculating pump (in 2014 Ranger did not offer a recirculating pump) and left it on. I added some "Please Release Me" several times during the day, ended up with 4 fish at 11.20 lbs. and they seemed in good shape - and two had been hooked in the throat early in the day. I need to add the vents, those look like a good idea.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jml View Post
    I added the the V2 livewell vents, and keep the pump on auto. Fished in 90 degree heat last 6 weeks, no dead fish.
    Did you have to drill through the support channel on the underside of the lid to install them?

5. Member
    I just set mine to auto/auto when on the lake and manual/recirc when I pull boat out of water. No issues so far.

6. Member
    Recirculation is your friend. Adds oxygen and cools the water thru evaporation from surface disturbance.

7. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    Been fishing 90 - 90+ OAT here in PA all summer, w/ 10 fish limit tourneys. The RT live-wells are great even w/o any enhancements. Keep your pump on Auto the entire day. Before you trailer, go to manual to top off the LW, then switch to recirculate so the LW stays oxygenated while boat is on trailer. The other key is to weigh your fish ASAP and get them back to the lake
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop
    82# MotorGuide Tour Pro TM
    Fishes as good as anything out there, with the TM down...

8. Member
    My Lund never came with recirculation so i added a livewell kit, (a pump with a hose and a spray bar). My livewell is long and narrow and it has grooves for two dividers, i did not want to drill into the tank so i mounted the pump on one of the dividers and mounted the spray bar in the middle. I also added a dash switch. Works great and almost looks "factory". Our club does a lot of "out of the water weigh-ins", and my fish are very frisky !

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yogib View Post
    Did you have to drill through the support channel on the underside of the lid to install them?
    No.
    2015 Ranger RT188
    2015 115 PRO XS

10. Member
    We just add ice and some fish care product of your choice down here in Texas.

How hot is it in the Northeast?

It's only 97-100 or so here with a heat index of 115-120 on most days.
    2016 Ranger RT188 Charcoal Metallic Dual Console
    2017 Yamaha 115 VMAX SHO SS Prop
    Lowrance Elite 7Ti in console
    Humminbird Helix 10 SI on BBT Bow Mount

Humminbird Helix 10 SI on a BalZout @ Console
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80 - 24V i-Pilot Link
    Transducer Shield Mount
    Custom step in place of center seat
    Trick Step