Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

What is your favorite fluorocarbon

I am looking for a good fluorocarbon that I don't have to take a loan out to buy.

Sniper. I use it for everything where I use fluoro with one exception - my dragging rod where I'm most concerned about abrasion from rocks, mussels, etc. There I use 18 lb Shooter which is less manageable but a little more abrasion resistant than Sniper.

Whatever you go with, make sure to compare line diameters for a given lb test rating. There is a LOT of variability between brands, and my experience tells me that a lot of the stuff that is "stronger" than another brand is only that way because they rate a given diameter lighter than other brands. Berkley 100% is the one that first tipped me off to this. 8 lb Berkley 100% is basically the same diameter as Sunline and Seaguar 12 lb. No wonder I couldn't catch a fish on a drop shot. This is true of others as well, and really applies across all fishing line, not just fluoro. Braid is actually probably the worst case of this, though that's getting off topic.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

3. Dogfish_Jones
    Just use monofilament at a much lower cost. It was good enough for all the pro's up to the last few years. Fluorocarbon is just another added gimmick to sell for a much higher cost.
    Flouro may sink a little better but I will take that one extra second over paying the price for fluorocarbon. I have found it to be less tough than a good monofilament line. I would put Trilene XT line up against any Fluorocarbon line and the Monofilament will last longer and not break off. Plus the higher end rod tips, monofilament will give you that little bit of give needed to not rip the bait from the bass mouth or rip his lips to where the hook falls out.

4. Member
    I had some triple fish flouro on for 2 reels for about 5 years. Was not easy to work with at times, but I caught loads of fish on those 2 rods. Used it for swimsuits. It may be called something other than triple fish now. For spinning sunline sniper was good the 5# was really good for dropshotting.

5. Member
    As Drew said .Sunline Sniper is your best bet.You can check Seaguar Red Label. It's not breaking bank fluoro too.
    Adam

6. Member
    Seagar red label, I used to use Trilene 100% all the time but they have changed something, the past few spools I bought of it were terrible.

7. Member
    Sunline products have proven themselves to as good as any. I have tried most. This year I have been using the Sunline Super in 8lb, 16lb and 20lb without any trouble. Using it straight and braid to leader.

8. Member
    I haven't used mono in years, today was the first day I went to try straight mono and hated it. I can tell that I lose almost 50 percent of the sensitivity on a long cast, the line feels so spungy and the feed back from the lure is very minimum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogfish_Jones View Post
    Just use monofilament at a much lower cost. It was good enough for all the pro's up to the last few years. Fluorocarbon is just another added gimmick to sell for a much higher cost.
    Flouro may sink a little better but I will take that one extra second over paying the price for fluorocarbon. I have found it to be less tough than a good monofilament line. I would put Trilene XT line up against any Fluorocarbon line and the Monofilament will last longer and not break off. Plus the higher end rod tips, monofilament will give you that little bit of give needed to not rip the bait from the bass mouth or rip his lips to where the hook falls out.
    2004 Stratos 295 Pro XL
    2004 Mercury 3.0 L EFI 200 HP SN: 0T908560
    Standard/Servicemaster Lower 859399T13

9. Member
    My conclusions are exactly opposite!

On rods I use full spools of FC, I respool every 2 years. No mono will be worth a siht after that long. And for abrasion resistance, a good hard-shelled FC is in another league...any good mono doesn't even compare.

Now, i'm not saying this is ALL fluorocarbons, because that's definitely not true. There is some real garbage being sold, oddly enough...it's some of the more popular FC's on this board.

In my opinion, a "user friendly" FC is not a good representation of a "good" FC. From my testing...the more user friendly an FC is, the more it sucks, and really is no better than a good mono. If you can tolerate some of the less desirable attributes of the better FC's, it's the best line to use. Period. It's not all created equal.

10. Dogfish_Jones
    Quote Originally Posted by RFeyoMN View Post
    My conclusions are exactly opposite!

On rods I use full spools of FC, I respool every 2 years. No mono will be worth a siht after that long. And for abrasion resistance, a good hard-shelled FC is in another league...any good mono doesn't even compare.

Now, i'm not saying this is ALL fluorocarbons, because that's definitely not true. There is some real garbage being sold, oddly enough...it's some of the more popular FC's on this board.

In my opinion, a "user friendly" FC is not a good representation of a "good" FC. From my testing...the more user friendly an FC is, the more it sucks, and really is no better than a good mono. If you can tolerate some of the less desirable attributes of the better FC's, it's the best line to use. Period. It's not all created equal.
    LOL, I must have always used the bad FC. I had all my reels rigged up with FC that had monofilament on it last year when I had a tournament on Guntersville. Just that one tournament I know I broke off a good half dozen times bringing in fish. I switched to my braided reels to just make sure I did not lose anymore fish that day. Too be honest I forgot what brand FC I bought but I had used some Seagar Red Label FC that was just as bad.
    Since I switch back over to monofilament I think I have broken off 1 time with a fish on the line. I have had my hooks straighten out using the Ned Rig but I have solved that problem but it wasn't a line issue.
    Question then, what brand are you using?

11. Member
    I use Gamma Edge, and have for many years. It's all I will buy. It's not for every body. It's probably a lot stiffer than what you've used, and most guys don't like that. The best (strongest) mono's are known for memory as well.

Red Label, InvizX, AbrazX, Sniper, Berkley 100%...is all very mediocre line, and really no better than your average mono or co-poly. I wouldn't use any Seaguar for a mainline, even if it was free.

3 things that will make nearly any FC seem like it's worse than cheap mono...

Learn how to correctly tie a knot!
    Don't fish with loose line in the spool!
    Don't get backlashes!

If someone can't figure those out...they are not ready for any FC. Mono, and most co-poly's are very forgiving...and for the average guy, are perfect, and will do the job.

12. Member
    Seaguar Abrazx, Invisx and Pline Tactical are my three favorites. Yo-Zuri topknot flouro is also surprisingly decent for the cost.

13. Member
    LOL, I must have always used the bad FC. I had all my reels rigged up with FC that had monofilament on it last year when I had a tournament on Guntersville. Just that one tournament I know I broke off a good half dozen times bringing in fish. I switched to my braided reels to just make sure I did not lose anymore fish that day. Too be honest I forgot what brand FC I bought but I had used some Seagar Red Label FC that was just as bad.
    Since I switch back over to monofilament I think I have broken off 1 time with a fish on the line. I have had my hooks straighten out using the Ned Rig but I have solved that problem but it wasn't a line issue.
    Question then, what brand are you using?
    User error, pure and simple. You can't treat flouro like mono and expect to have good results. Where was the line breaking? At the knot or in the middle? One is caused by the wrong knot the other by backlash or loose coils on the spool. I think 50% of the problems most people have with fluorocarbon is not enough spool tension, when casting, so the spool overruns just a tiny bit.
    Wash your hands and say your prayers, cause Jesus and germs are everywhere.

14. Member
    Sunline sniper. I have used shooter in the past but like sniper better.
    2006 Stratos 294 Pro XL.2005 Yamaha 200 VMAX 3.1L. 8" Hydro Dynamics Rapid Jack. Ultrex 112 I-Plot link. 2 Helix 10 Chirp Mega SI GPS G2N.

15. Dogfish_Jones
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Danbleume View Post
    User error, pure and simple. You can't treat flouro like mono and expect to have good results. Where was the line breaking? At the knot or in the middle? One is caused by the wrong knot the other by backlash or loose coils on the spool. I think 50% of the problems most people have with fluorocarbon is not enough spool tension, when casting, so the spool overruns just a tiny bit.
    Most broke in the line, I mainly use the Polamer knot, which I do not think is the problem. I think one of two things make mine break then. I'm buying the wrong FC or I do have some backlash at times. Skipping a lure under a low lying limb or dock sometimes doesn't work out as planned which causes most of my back-lashing.
    From just this thread it seems that fluorocarbon is not the line I need then. I use braid backing with mono leader for my spinning reels which so far has worked out fine.
    I also guess I am just too old school to change up then for something that has worked for me over 50 years. I wonder just how bad the line I used back in the 70's where compared to the monofilament of today?

16. Member
    Hey guys i recently tried the New Bass Pro Excel 100% Florocarbon. At $8-$9 for 150yrd spool i dont think you can go wrong. Dont see alot of difference in it and Sunline Super. I will definately be buying more. And id like to try the Berkley Solutions 100% floro
    Dustin Davis
    Fish the days no one else wants to!!

2009 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha 4stroke
    Minn Kota Ultrex
    HDS Gen3 12/HDS Carbon 9

17. Member
    Tatsu is my favorite by far except for cost, Sunline sniper would be my 2nd choice, quality line and reasonable priced.

I started with the previous BPS FC...white box. The yellow/purple KVD BPS FC got bad reviews, so I didn't try it. Next up was Seaguar Red Box....ok at best. Slipped some Palomar knots, so went to an Improved Clinch and fixed that. Next came Sunline Sniper...best FC for the $ in my book. I also tried Tatsu, and it's wonderful….except for the price. I'm moving back to copolymer. Usually P-line CXX on baitcasters or McCoy's clear "Mean Green" on spinning reels.
    Don't bother me, I'm screwing for virginity.

I killed a 12-pack just to watch it die.

I like yozuri hybrid

20. Member
    Sniper

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast