1996 STRATOS 201 PRO Johnson Evinrude 225

Restored my 96 201 pro w/ original Johnson Evinrude 225. At first we were having a fuel delivery issue which I think has been addressed. Running on one factory tank with no air leaks. Previously pulled all 6 carburetors and put a rebuild kit in each of them along with a deep cleaning inside and out.

Pump the ball up, hold the choke in for about 20 seconds and the boat will usually fire right up. Idles decent when warm. The boat doesn’t have any trouble getting out of the hole and runs at about 55mph in good conditions.

PROBLEM #1
    -Shut the motor down to fish for a bit and when I go to run to another spot the boat doesn’t want to cooperate. It’ll fire up but then shuts down as if it’s flooding the carburetors. Check the fuel primer bulb and it’s relatively hard. If you try and give it any throttle the motor will shut down.

Only if you baby the throttle; put it in neutral, get the rpm’s up (without making the motor shutdown), and let it get hot again (maybe 3 minutes @ about 2200rpm’s), then it will get out of the hole and run just fine.

It doesn’t like idling much either especially towards the end of the day. When you pull into the No Wake Zone and either drop someone off at the dock or go to put the boat on the trailer, well then it wants to constantly shut down. So it’s a very delicate dance with where you put the boat, how fast your coming in, how many times you can switch gears between reverse, neutral and drive before it shuts down on me.

Any ideas would be great!

Thank You

Post on the johnny/rude forum. Read the sticky's at the top of the page!
    1999 Stratos 273 DC
    1999 Johnson 115
    2021 Ram Limited