Fuel on driveshaft splines

Good morning.

About three weeks ago, I inherited a 2002 Nitro NX 750 Dc with a 90 Mercury outboard (0T586609) that sat winterized for 2 years. I am fairly mechanically inclined, but a total novice when it comes to outboards and engine repair.

After some general cleanup, I attempted to start the motor with a hose flush. The motor would turn over strongly, catch, and run for 1-10 seconds. The tell tale was ejecting water during this time. After about a dozen attempts the tell tale stopped ejecting, so I immediately stopped trying to start the motor and let it flush for another 5-10 minutes.

The first thing I did was to change out the water pump and started the recommended 100 hr maintenance. However, once I removed the lower unit, I noticed a black, oily substance that smelled of fuel on the top of the drive shaft on the splines. I ended up cleaning everything up and completing the pump change which actually had a blown gasket between the pump housing and plate.

Am I correct to assume that the fuel on the drive shaft splines is a bad thing?
    Will I cause catastrophic harm if I try to start the motor again.

At this point, I have just reassembled everything and let it sit. I think I may be approaching the point of letting a pro take a look and just calling it a day.

Thanks

2. Member
    possible lowewr crank seals leaking , could be robbing oil mix from lower bearing
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    Agreed on lower crank seal. Yank the powerhead and repc from the bottom. Not too bad of a job
    90 Shadow 20' Mod V w/ 200 Merc - Total resto and loving it!
    Here's my build from cap-off to boat in the water.
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=336645