Is this normal on a 4 stroke 115 ProXs ?

Serial number: 2B563969, with 36 hours. (Never had this happened prior to this outing) Boat is in the water, with OB down, I turn the key, hear the beep, turn over the OB, the motor "growls" to life and right before the purr, the OB shuts off. I re-started the OB right after again and I had zero issues the entire outing, like if nothing ever happened. Fast forward to yesterday, (I haven't used the boat for 2 weeks mind you), boats on the trailer this time at home, with the muffs on, and water running. Turn the key, hear the beep, started the motor, it "growled" to life, and right before the purr the outboard shut off. Waited a few seconds re-started the motor, and no issues. I ran the OB with muffs for 3 mins and motor purred without a problem. I then turned the motor off, waited a few seconds, restarted the OB again, 0 problems.

Is this common when the OB has been resting on the transom saver for a week or 2 without use? Or is this the beginning of an underlying issue?

Appreciate the help.
    2019 Vexus 1880 w/ Mercury Pro-XS 115 4-stroke, MK 80lb Fortex, Twin Helix 7 Birds, Pro II PowerPole. AEguideservice.com

2. Member
    Mine is on a lift, but have not had this issue.
    Do not take your half in the middle ....

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    First thing: Are you releasing the key IMMEDIATELY after you reach the start position (do not "hold" the key at start)?

This is a Smart-Start engine, meaning you simply bump the key to the start position and the engine starts. If your keyswitch happens to have a little corrosion and you're holding the key at the start position, the second signal would actually tell the PCM to turn the engine off.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    First thing: Are you releasing the key IMMEDIATELY after you reach the start position (do not "hold" the key at start)?

This is a Smart-Start engine, meaning you simply bump the key to the start position and the engine starts. If your keyswitch happens to have a little corrosion and you're holding the key at the start position, the second signal would actually tell the PCM to turn the engine off.
    Thank you for the reply Don. To answer your question, no I'm not holding the key at start. I bump the key to the start position, (release key) engine comes to life for about 3 seconds with the "growl" I described, and right before it purrs, the engine shuts off. Repeat the same sequence of events right after it shuts off, 0 issues.
    2019 Vexus 1880 w/ Mercury Pro-XS 115 4-stroke, MK 80lb Fortex, Twin Helix 7 Birds, Pro II PowerPole. AEguideservice.com

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Might need to get someone to monitor the voltage on the Computer Diagnostic System. Suspect that for some reason it's dropping on initial startup (cables, connections, battery, etc).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Thank you sir