Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

1988 Ranger 360V Restoration

Here begins my labor of love.... I'm a new member to the forum though I have lurked for years. In April my dad lost his battle with cancer and died at the relatively young age of 71. Around 1994 or 1995 he bought a 1988 Ranger 360V with a Merc 150 and fished out of it until early 2018, when the powerhead finally gave up. Motor shopping brought him a 2013 Merc 150 four stroke, sitting on a 1991 Procraft. The Procraft transom was a little soft but otherwise the boat was immaculate, he basically bought the motor and it was less to keep it on the Procraft than to pay for moving it. Late 2018 he was diagnosed and any plans to repower the Ranger pushed to the side, while the Ranger got pushed into the weeds behind my house, under a cover. Dad died on April 1, and I have spent every weekend on the water since. My attachment to the Ranger is sentimental I know, but I believe it's a solid candidate for restoration. We were lucky to have 18 months notice of terminal cancer and I took a bunch of days off throughout his treatment to fish together, but I suppose part of my grieving process is fishing every weekend since. About three weeks ago, the bilge pump suddenly puked water out of the Procraft and I discovered that one of the lower motor mount bolts was leaking. Not a drip, but a trickle, and not a good feeling. So knowing the transom was soft I have elected to do a restoration on, and then repower, the Ranger instead of working on the Procraft. In March of this year a spring storm split the cover on the Ranger and luckily I noticed it the next day. She was half-full of water and leaves but I got it cleared and drained. It has been sun exposed since, but Dad always kept the boat covered so I hope the oxidation is easily fixed. I plan to take the boat to guy a couple hours away who comes highly recommended and is very reasonable on pricing to have it buffed/wet sanded, a couple of extra seat bases added up front, the carpet redone, and the trailer refreshed. I may as well rewire and replumb the boat now, so I know what I am starting with. Any tips along the way are appreciated, as I know many here have done this before. I will try to post pictures along the journey and apologize in advance for my rambling train of thought (as evidenced in this paragraph). First, a list of each boat and what is on it (pics coming soon):
    1988 Ranger 360V
    1988 Mercury 150 with blown powerhead
    Manual jackplate
    Motorguide "Brute" 24 Volt 41 ft/lbs trolling motor with foot control
    Tempress Fishon seats w/ Ranger covers - 4 matching, buckets at console and two on pedestals

IMG_0663.JPGIMG_0633.JPGIMG_0634.JPG
    1991 Procraft 180 Pro
    2013 Mercury 150 four stroke
    No jack plate, motor mounted to transom
    Hydraulic steering (Seastar)
    MinnKota Maxxum 24 Volt, 70 ft/lbs trolling motor with foot control
    Humminbird Helix 5 on bow
    Lowrance Elite 7 on console, secondary Lowrance on floor for depth at speed
    IMG_0106.JPG
    Last edited by LEOshorty; 07-28-2020 at 03:57 PM. Reason: Adding photos

2. Member
    Since it was generally covered, it should clean up. Mine appears to have had a few-too-many hot breakfasts over the years, and it still polished up nicely. '88 "should" put you in a pulltruded transom, just check that out before spending money. I've got the same Maxxum, it does fine on still water. Hope you get many more years and memories out of it.

1990 Ranger 362V Yamaha Pro-V 150
    Old Town Predator MinnKota

3. Member
    I've emailed Ranger, who told me to call looking for parts, which resulted in a one hour wait on hold.... I know they're having issues right not but customer service is apparently not as big a priority as it once once.
    IMG_0674.JPG
    I do have this photo though looking at the transom from the battery tray if that helps, I do believe it's after the change away from wood transom.

4. Member
    I've given the Ranger a good vacuuming and cleaned out all of the compartments, pulled the extra rodholder bases off the side , and washed all the gunk out of the inside. Pulled the battery tray out and unhooked the livewell drains because the hoses looked terrible. Slowly doing a little here and there while waiting on the restoration guy to get back from vacation. This gives a pretty good look at the oxidation in the sunlight.
    2EF88381-2C68-4F98-BCBC-F0980307F1F0.jpeg
    Last edited by LEOshorty; 07-28-2020 at 06:56 PM.

5. Member
    I would recommend replacing the fuel lines since you’re going to do carpet. You have to pull out the seat tray anyway. European marine in S.C. can get you what you need. I had mine replaced when the carpet was redone on my 361. Sorry to hear about the parts dept at Ranger. They were great helping me in 2014. Last time I called, not so much.

Looks like a fun project.
    1997 Charger 186 TF
    1997 Yamaha ProV 175

7. Member
    Definitely will replace the fuel lines. I better check the sending units while I’m in there too.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LEOshorty View Post
    Definitely will replace the fuel lines. I better check the sending units while I’m in there too.
    Both of mine read wrong when I bought it a couple years ago, so I swapped them out with Moeller's. The tank floats were cork, and sank! (waterlogged?).

9. Banned
    That Ranger 360 is a great candidate for a full restore. If it was mine, before I sent it to the guy for wet sanding and buffing. I would Pull motor and check transom and mounting holes .Completely strip the boat down of all the old carpeting and remove all hardware, compartment lids,seats the whole nine yards.... . It will sure make it easier for your guy to wet sand a buff.

I would also power wash out the bilge , pull gas tank if possible and replace all the plumbing and paint the entire bilge with Bilge Coat epoxy paint. Good luck on your restore. I've done a few. It's a lot of work for sure, but a great feeling of accomplishment when it's all done.

PS. I think that boat would look awesome with charcoal/gray carpet.
    Last edited by mxmike; 07-30-2020 at 06:52 AM.

10. Member
    I’m definitely thinking gray carpet as well. I’m not going to pull the carpet in case he wants to use it for patterns though I will have all the hardware and windshield off when it goes to him. I’ve already unhooked the steering cables and may go ahead and pull the motor this weekend as well. I have a bedcover on the truck so I may have him leave the lids off when he’s done and just bring them home in the bed of the truck so I can chase wires and address the tanks, etc, before screwing them back down.

11. Moderator
    A lot of work but will be worth it.

12. Member
    Got the seat pan out and washed the inside and outside both out today, in addition to discovering the bow eye needs a little attention and the wiring to the bow panel definitely needs replaced due to heavy fraying and bare wire showing! Got a lot of the strip down done this weekend before it goes for the finish work and recarpeting.
    1DA7E7EE-54C8-499D-9C36-A989B5C07C35.jpegIMG_0753.JPG
    Last edited by LEOshorty; 08-03-2020 at 09:21 AM.

13. Member
    Before u pull the motor off the ranger would be a good time to check transom to see if it flexes. Stand on the cavitation plate and bounce up and down a little while watching to see if transom moves. Use a dead blow hammer and tap around on it to see if there are any dead spots and look for any stains running down from your mounting holes. Those older rangers still catch peoples attention if they look good and you have a special reason to restore this one. Good luck with your project.

14. Member
    Sorry about your loss. Good luck with the restore!!

15. Member
    Yea, you have to have a sense of humor when tackling a project boat like this but the finished product is well worth the effort. I keep spools of all the wire in 14 & 16 gauge and just rip everything out first. I even quit trying to wire just like the factory. Sit down and draw a new schematic of what is needed to the bow, add 2 extra 12V supply wires to isolate your plotters, Panoptix, etc supply voltage to cut down on trolling motor interference.

Man I love these old Rangers. I had the pleasure of running a 1988 371V that was in great condition. I wish I never let that boat go, and would loved to have fully restored it at some point. Awesome platform and well built. I think your transom contains "no wood or plywood" (maybe kevlar) so you should be in good shape there? Let us know.
    Layton Strong
    Nitro State Team

17. Member
    The 360 series hulls were great hulls and you have a good plan and starting point. I can't think of a better way to honor your Dad than bringing that boat back to where he would have wanted it to be. Sorry for your loss.

18. Member
    Tanya in the parts department at Ranger has been very helpful

19. Member
    Looks like we're doing the same project but mines an 89 363 Evinrude 150 bass master classic. I've never owned a boat, never had the chance to fish from a boat except a few we've chartered on vacation, so I'm definitely over my head .. but I have a 5 year old and hoping his child hood looks a little different than mine. Excited to get it going and create some great memories like you and your dad. Mine sat for 15 years (covered and kept under a patio) .. pumped/cleaned out fuel tanks, old oil reservoir, changed the battery, spark plugs (added some oil in behind them), going to pull the carbs and clean them today, change the impeller, and then hopefully try and fire it up and see what happens. All the boat mechanics are backed up for months here .. the local guy said there were 65 boats ahead of me on a waiting list.

20. Member
    Got it scheduled for the wet sanding, buffing, and carpet at the end of the month. He’s going to add two seat bases on the front deck for me at the same time but I’m considering having the front deck padded to help hide if the bases sit a little tall under the carpet. I may use the Springfield marine spring-lock bases and use one of them on the rear deck also so all the fishing seats bases would match and be interchangeable. Thoughts?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast