Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    When I restored my Stratos I removed the spring-lock bases and replaced them with the threaded 3/4" pin type bases. The spring-lock bases use a bushing that wears and then the pedestal has a sloppy fit. If you use 24 oz carpet I don't think the bases will be very noticeable under the carpet.

2. Member
    Despite what is probably good advice above I went ahead and ordered three 7X7" Springfield Spring-Lock bases from their scratch and dent store. The shipping seemed high at almost $20 but all three shipped was $80. The two factory Spring-lock bases in the front deck and the center floor appear to be glassed in or at least recessed into the glass/floor so I am afraid of trying to rip them up and replace them. They are the 9" round models and are domed pretty steep on top so for add-ons I went with the flatter square bases. Hopefully I can add two of the square type base on the front deck for three total, and one on the rear deck, and have five places total for either of my two fishing seats. The front seat was already on a Spring-Lock adjustable pole so I'm going to order the repair kit for it and another pole for the back seat and hopefully be done with that part.

3. Member
    Well I have dropped the Ranger off for a complete buffing/wet sanding and replacement of all carpet. I can’t wait to get it back!

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LEOshorty View Post
    Well I have dropped the Ranger off for a complete buffing/wet sanding and replacement of all carpet. I can’t wait to get it back!
    Can hardly wait to see the pictures when you get it back. Post them ASAP.

5. Member
    Looks like a great project boat. I redid an 89 320V a while back and it turned out great in the end. I think my gelcoat looked worse than yours does before I wetsanded, compounded and polished so I'm thinking that yours is going to come out smooth and shiny Good luck on the project!
    Wishin I Was Fishin...

6. Member
    Picked her up today and I am THRILLED with how good she looks. If you’re within distance of central Arkansas and need work done I cannot say enough good about Curtis Massey’s work! Step one complete, wet sanded and buffed, all new carpet, trailer redone, extra seat bases added.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by LEOshorty; 09-06-2020 at 12:18 AM.

7. Member
    Curtis couldn't park it right side up when he finished?

8. Member

The dummy posting it can’t get his pictures to load right side up, ever! I’ve tried turning them and reposting them several ways (hence the edits) but the forum and my phone aren’t playing nicely together LOL!

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassboat1 View Post
    Curtis couldn't park it right side up when he finished?
    He wanted us to see how shiny the underside of the boat was. DOH!

10. Member
    The boat Looks great! brings back memories for me and I'm sure for you too.
    Wishin I Was Fishin...

11. Moderator
    Looks new

Leo, if you don't mind me asking? How much did Curtis Massey charge for this job? In particular just the wet sanding, buff and polish?
    Layton Strong
    Nitro State Team

13. Member
    $1,600 for all the work, wet sanding and buffing, new carpet throughout, installing three seat bases, new bunks and carpet on trailer, and buffing trailer fenders.

14. Member
    That price sounds very reasonable to me. Also, I love the 300 series Rangers. I can’t wait to see the finished product. The fact that the boat belonged to your Dad makes whatever you spend on it worth it.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LEOshorty View Post
    $1,600 for all the work, wet sanding and buffing, new carpet throughout, installing three seat bases, new bunks and carpet on trailer, and buffing trailer fenders.
    Wow, that's really a great price. Did that include the carpet too or did you provide it? That would be a steal without the new bunks. Not to mention that it also looks like he did a great job. I did my carpet in the spring and after doing it once I'd probably pay $1600 just to have someone else do just that. Was the least favorite part of my restoration.

16. Member
    He supplied all the carpet. I had all the rails, etc, off and the trays loose and supplied the seat bases. Now begins the job of building the custom dash and moving everything over from the Procraft.

Great boat, looks amazing now. Those 150 four strokes are great too, very powerful and bullet proof. Should go great on the Ranger. Very cool.

18. Member
    Decided to update and fix some of the upside down photos real quick since I was at a real computer for a minute. Before and after. Just got rub rail in to replace soon and will soon begin dash layout.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Man I got quoted 1300 plus carpet to just carpet a TR 21 .. you got a good deal. Also if he still has them my nephew had all new panels for that boat if your interested . He had one he was restoring and lost it in a divorce and somehow ex wife broke the transom .. Not rotted she rammed it into something . I can ask about panels if you think your interested ..

How long did Curtis take ?
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast