Thread: Battery drain ?

Battery drain ?

New Mercury 250 ProXS ( serial (2b737965) . Now that my new engine is installed and no more oil reservoir I was going to add a dedicated battery for my electronics in is place. I have a 3 bank charger setup and was going to hook up the the two trolling batteries and the dedicated electronics battery for charging and let the motor charge the started battery only. Was wondering if the motor has any draw on the battery while sitting in storage between fishing trips (two weeks or so) or should I get a four bank charger ? Does disconnecting the battery from the motor reset any computers, settings or controls ? Thanks
    2005 Stratos 201 Pro XL
    2020 Mercury 250 Pro XS
    HB Solix
    HB M360
    Garmin LiveView
    MinnKota Ultrex

2. Member
    Get a 4 bank charger.

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    +1 ^^^^^^

You don't want to be constantly disconnecting and reconnecting the cranking battery. If you have an adequate battery (AGM Type, 975 or higher CCA), you could install a high-quality Battery Switch to disconnect power to everything EXCEPT the Clean Power (which must remain ON the cranking battery).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    I dont plan on disconnecting the starting battery every time I want to charge, I just want the motor to charge only the starting battery and my 3 bank charger to charge my (2)trolling batteries and (1)electronics battery. So I'd to know if there is a battery draw from the motor to my starting battery while it sits at home between fishing trips. So I would only charge the starting battery while on the lake running, is this enough ? I have a high capacity AGM for my starting battery now.
    2005 Stratos 201 Pro XL
    2020 Mercury 250 Pro XS
    HB Solix
    HB M360
    Garmin LiveView
    MinnKota Ultrex

5. Member
    I don’t think your motor has the capacity to maintain the charge on the battery. While cranked yes it will provide charge but you run the risk of getting to the lake and may find your battery is flat when you get there and your motor won’t crank. I would add the 4 bank charger.
    2022 Phoenix 919 Pro XP
    2022 Mercury 225 4s 3B133405

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    You need to ensure the Cranking Battery is FULLY CHARGED before each outing.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveTTN View Post
    I don’t think your motor has the capacity to maintain the charge on the battery. While cranked yes it will provide charge but you run the risk of getting to the lake and may find your battery is flat when you get there and your motor won’t crank. I would add the 4 bank charger.
    So you think the motor cannot full charge the battery on the water with nothing else attached to the battery and their is a draw from the motor while it sits at home for a week or two that would discharge the battery enough to not crank the motor for the next outing ?
    2005 Stratos 201 Pro XL
    2020 Mercury 250 Pro XS
    HB Solix
    HB M360
    Garmin LiveView
    MinnKota Ultrex

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NWStratos View Post
    So you think the motor cannot full charge the battery on the water with nothing else attached to the battery and their is a draw from the motor while it sits at home for a week or two that would discharge the battery enough to not crank the motor for the next outing ?
    Yes.
    The alternator is not a BATTERY CHARGER, it is a maintainer.

9. Member
    Connect the house and ignition batteries with a combiner.

10. Member
    I agree with everyone else. I would install a 4 bank, or at minimum have a single charger external of the boat for the cranking battery. The new motors have a lot of electronic controls and therefore require a hot battery. If you leave a battery in the boat with no charge it will possibly loose some charger and result in the inability to turn over the motor. An external schumacher charger is cheap and would provide the peace of mind imo

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockmike View Post
    Connect the house and ignition batteries with a combiner.
    You could do this with your current 3 bank, one bank will charge your house battery and when it reaches full charge it will then connect to and charge the starting battery. Blue Seas makes the ACR and Yandina makes the Combiner. Good thing is it also works when the motor is running on the water. When the house battery is fully charged it will start charging the starting battery from the motor output.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

12. Member
    i ran 3 batteries for TM 1 for electronics and pumps and a cranking battery
    a couple years a go my electronics and pumps battery failed in a tournament and the dealer set me up with an AGM 31 battery for the cranker and got rid of the extra battery and extra weight
    haven't had any issues yet

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kmed2 View Post
    i ran 3 batteries for TM 1 for electronics and pumps and a cranking battery
    a couple years a go my electronics and pumps battery failed in a tournament and the dealer set me up with an AGM 31 battery for the cranker and got rid of the extra battery and extra weight
    haven't had any issues yet
    This is my recommendation- especially since you MUST use a big AGM for this engine (anyway).

I do not recommend "combiners". The Alternator on your engine was designed to "Maintain the fully-charged state of ONE Amply-Rated, Fully-Charged, AGM Battery".