Trinity 7 Be on guard against false teaching!

The Old and New Testament lessons assigned for Trinity 7 tell us to be on guard against false teachers (Deut 13:1-11, Matt 16:5-12). The Deuteronomy passage says, "do not yield to him (false prophet)...put him to death." In modern times we don't go that far, but it does show God is pretty serious about false prophets.

Be on guard. God has chosen to work thru His Word. Any false teachers cause spiritual harm. Unbelief leads to eternal death. The Psalm for today shows the benefits of living by faith in Jesus Christ and meaning to our lives. Sound teaching has more value than anything on earth. ---

PSALM 34 Of David

8. Oh, taste and see that the LORD is good;Blessed are all those who trust in Him! 9. Oh, fear the LORD, youHis saints! There is no want to those who fear Him. 18. TheLORD is near to the brokenhearted, And saves those crushed inspirit. 19. Many are the afflictions of the righteous, But the LORDdelivers him out of them all. 20. +He guards all his bones; Not oneof them is broken.+ 21. Evil shall slay the wicked, And those who hate the righteous shall be condemned. 22. The LORD redeems thesoul of His servants, And no one who trusts in Him shall becondemned.

V8. "Taste" is not like a buffet and try different teachings. Taste the goodness of the LORD and abandon all false gods. Cling to His Word. Trust only in Christ crucified for the forgiveness of your sins. Note the last part of the verse. It does not say blessings will come to those who keep the law. If that were the case, no one would ever be forgiven and saved.

The blessing of the LORD is forgiveness, paid for by Jesus. Christ earns our salvation. "No one is justified before God, by obeying the Law, because, 'The righteous will live by faith,'" (Galatians 3--itself quoting Habakuk 2:4b)

V9. To 'fear' the LORD in this context means to hold Him in respect and sacred awe, in your heart, by faith. The heart is awestruck by God's mercy and love towards His enemies (you, me, sinners).

This does not mean the He is our personal ATM. When we see the cleansing power of Jesus' blood, we want the love of God in Christ more than health, wealth, and even earthly life.

V18. The Holy Spirit uses the hammer of the Law to crush our self righteous heart. He uses the promise of the Gospel to heal us, by means of the sacrificial love of Jesus. We get a new heart that He continually nurtures and strengthens.

V19. "The righteous' in this context are sinners. By faith, Christ delivers them. We get Jesus' righteousness.

V20. Talking only about Jesus. Fulfilled at Calvary. All prophesies fulfilled, down to the smallest detail. You and I can be sure it was all planned, not random chance. God's plan of salvation was carried out.

Have to go. I'll finish 21, 22 later.
    Last edited by msethsmile; 07-29-2020 at 08:16 AM.

2. Member
    Deuteronomy passage says, "do not yield to him (false prophet)...put him to death." In modern times we don't go that far, but it does show God is pretty serious about false prophets.

These days in NYS, they don't even keep people in jail for crimes, since Cuomo caved in to be politically correct about bail reform. So, you commit a crime, and you are back on the street with an appearance ticket ready to do it all over again.
    I cry out in the burden of Habakkuk 1:1-4

3. Member
    finish post

V21. Because Jesus gave His life for us, God will deliver us--in His time, in His way. Meanwhile, we need to pray for and speak to unbelievers. Support mission efforts around the world.

V22. The Gospel message: The atoning work of Jesus is not just for some, but for all. Christ lead a holy life for you. He poured out His life blood for you. Your guilt is washed away forever.

Isaiah 43, "This is what the LORD says--'I, even I, am He: who blots out your transgressions, for My own sake, and remembers your sins no more.'"

Heaven is ours, where you will celebrate for all eternity. Hold fast to the word of Truth. In the meantime, reach out with the message.

excerpts sermon 7/26/20
    Last edited by msethsmile; 07-29-2020 at 08:21 AM.