Thread: Jig question

Jig question

What's the difference between a swim jig and any other jig? Hook eye angle? Head shape?

Mostly the hook eye angle and some of them not all have a smaller diameter hook than a regular flipping jig.

3. Banned
    Can have: thinner hook, thinner skirt, Thinner/softer weedguard, bullet style head with inline eye for coming through the weeds.

Go to TW and search swimjigs vs casting jigs/flipping jigs and compare/contrast

Quote Originally Posted by Almag6 View Post
    Can have: thinner hook, thinner skirt, Thinner/softer weedguard, bullet style head with inline eye for coming through the weeds.

Go to TW and search swimjigs vs casting jigs/flipping jigs and compare/contrast
    This. Personally I want all of those things in my swim jigs, save for *maybe* the thinner hook depending on cover I'm fishing. The thinner skirt and lighter weedguard are absolute musts, in my opinion. Lots of guys who build their own jigs don't get that and just put the same things they'd normally put in a flipping jig into a bullet head and call it a swim jig.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

5. Moderator
    Thanks. That some good info.

Many of them have eyes in the head also. Dirty jigs, my favorite, have eyes. Maybe it's a personal confidence thing, but I like any fish imitating lure to have eyes.

It depends what kind of swim jig that you're talking about. A heavy cover swim jig is more similar to a flipping jig, but usually is built with a 30 degree hook and has a bullet style head. A light wire swim jig, like the ones made famous by Tom Monsoor, have a thin wire hook and a thin skirt.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments