newer 21 XRS / SDC boats

On the port side near the gas cap there is a small cap on the side of the boat, it can be loosened with an allen wrench, what is this ? Is it a vent for the gas tank ?

See if it goes to the charcoal canister

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

3. Member
    Yes it is the fuel tank vent.
    ‘17 Bullet 21 SDC ‘20 Merc 300R 1.60 SM 1E081012

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketmanjp View Post
    Yes it is the fuel tank vent.
    Are you supposed to open it while fueling up ? Maybe that is why gas pukes all over when the dispenser shuts off automatically.

5. Member
    When I bought my new SST on the third or fourth fueling, the boat stop taking gas..period..could'nt hold the handle upside down or any the usual tricks to make a Bullet take gas..it's just puke it out on you even at slowest pace of trying to put in...vent was bad...dealer traded it out and boat would take gas again - sort of - or best a Bullet can anyways..never have understand why Bullet doesn't redesign their fueling system so you can actually fuel the boat in a normal manner. If they'd just figure out how to get rerun the hose from filled to tank and get rid of the sway or low spot in the hose, it'd help

I always had to open the vent if I was fueling on the water or anywhere that the boat wasn't pretty much level..
    Last edited by falconpilot; 07-28-2020 at 12:24 PM.
    Blazer 650 PRO /Nizpro SC SHO

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by happykamper View Post
    Are you supposed to open it while fueling up ? Maybe that is why gas pukes all over when the dispenser shuts off automatically.
    No you don’t have to open the vent when filling. If you’ll read post #33 in your previous post about fuel spillage AlliSS explains why these new epa vent systems do this. I never knew why until seeing AlliSS’s post. Another post there by AV seems like he figured out a cheap & easy fix for it.

7. Member
    No you don’t have to open the vent when filling. If you’ll read post #33 in your previous post about fuel spillage AlliSS explains why these new epa vent systems do this. I never knew why until seeing AlliSS’s post. Another post there by AV seems like he figured out a cheap & easy fix for it.
    I have no problem filling my boat with fuel, it just pukes everywhere when the fuel dispenser shuts off automatically from the tank being full, wrapping a towel around the nozzle helps from spilling gas all over the boat. Just curious what that vent's purpose is if it is closed.

8. Member
    It is a vent & not closed. Maybe alli ss can elaborate on the purpose of the floating arm & what it causes when it hits the top of the tank that causes fuel to back up into the fill hose.

9. Member
    vent for the gas tank, tied in with the new charcoal canister crap, wait till you have to run some lines or wires around the canister

10. Member
    It is a vent & not closed. Maybe alli ss can elaborate on the purpose of the floating arm & what it causes when it hits the top of the tank that causes fuel to back up into the fill hose.
    Oh I gotcha, guess I will not unscrew it to see what the hell its purpose is, lol.

It is a float that stops fuel flowing into the tank so it keeps its required air space. Just think that nozzle is flowing into the 2” hose thats 1.5’ long then all of the sudden it has a bottom on that hose with nowhere for the fuel to go. It starts filling up and as it is speeding by the nozzle it stops it from flowing- its just a bit too late at that point and it pukes. Thanks EPA!

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

12. Member
    Gotcha! Yea mine does it & it’s way before 36 gal!

They worried more about vapors than the 1/2gal of gas spilled on every fill up. Epa has some real winners up there

I would say tee together the tank vent and canister vent but that would be in violation of the EPA laws so don't do it. That is what I would do!!

They still sell the vented caps with the vent line fitting in the neck for research purposes and to repair the older systems. In theory the vent line going to the charcoal canister should be plugged into that fitting, the ball stopper float in the fill line could be removed, the anti siphon ball can be knocked out of the pickup barb and the fuel demand valve removed if so equipped. This is the way it would be done if the epa wouldnt have gotten involved. It would work very well this way- too bad you cant do it yourself