SETTING TPS ON 1998 175 EFI MARINER

Is there a work around for setting the tps on a 1998 mariner 175 efi without using the test harness?

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Moved to correct forum. Please be sure to provide your engine serial number.

Only correct ways are with the Test Harness or with the Computer Diagnostic System. Some have used jumpers in the connector and connected to them- keep in mind the wire colors there do NOT correspond to the colors mentioned for the test harness.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Push em in just like this. I've done this for years and have NEVER had an issue. Just wiggle them in and it'll work great for you. Make sure to disconnect the temp sensor on the port head.

tps.jpg
    1995 Allison XB-2003 225 Super Mag. It's slow and I'm ok with that.

4. Member
    Which 2 wires do you use to test? There are 3 wires going to tps. 1998 mariner 175 ser number 0g406004 Thanks

5. Member
    Should be the yellowish and blue ones, I do it the same way, sometimes have to try until I get the ones I need, lol.

6. Member
    200 leaner 300 richer for settings
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

Yep, what they said. 0.24-0.26 is where I generally set them. Then adjust if needed. Make sure your link 'n synch is all set properly too. That will have a bearing on your sensor setting if your idle stop isn't properly set and the roller isn't lined up how it should be on the cam.
    1995 Allison XB-2003 225 Super Mag. It's slow and I'm ok with that.

8. Member
    OK I CHECKED THE SETTING AND IT WAS ABOUT .180 SO I BUMPED IT UP TO ABOUT .255. HOPE THIS HELPS THE COLD START. WILL REPORT BACK WHEN TEMPS DROP.