Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I fished a few tourneys out of a 920...Pluses for the bird...fast...good ride. (For a bass boat) Fishes fine. Negatives are cheaper materials all through the boat. Not terrible...just not Ranger quality. When there was a big price difference..I could see a guy making that choice with price in mind. Now there isn’t much if any difference in loaded boats, so it comes down to what you want. All boats look pretty good new...it’s after that 5 year mark of hard use that you can see the difference. Good luck...fun shopping for a new rig.

2. "OVER THE LINE SMOKEY!" headhigh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by browncodybrown View Post
    So I don’t make a $70k mistake lol
    It's a bass boat! Doesn't matter what brand it is, it's still a $70k mistake.

I believe the same applies to a wife.
    1998 Ranger R93
    1998 Mercury 200 EFI

"Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."

3. Member
    Owned a 920 and several Rangers (361, z520, 391...) and 920 is better ride and faster ride hands down. 920 fishes great at rest, z520 does too, carpet is better in Ranger, but Phoenix has gone to "c" channel trailers as standard equipment I think in 2021 models for sure, 920 livewell is better IMO but does require manual plug - less valve repair so I like that, Ranger fit and finish is slightly better, I'd have another 920 before Ranger due to ride, speed and livewells.

4. Member
    Long time Ranger owner looking at swapping over to a Bird. I owned a 2009 Z520 for 9 years and have a 2019 Z520L now. What’s your opinions and reasons for not switching over? Thanks
    I can’t imagine getting rid of a 2019 ranger for a 1 or 2 year newer boat of any sort. But I tend to keep boats a long time. I’ve had my boat for 18 year now. That being said all new boats are nice. Get what makes you happy and good luck with it. I do think if I get another Ranger it would the Intercoastal 521 Ranger.
    Ranger 520vx Yamaha 225 ox66.

5. Member
    I own a Ranger so I am biased. I was a marshal at a recent BASS event and got to ride in a Bird and an L boat on consecutive days. ( by the way, if something happened to my C boat, I would get another compared to the L) The bird is fast! No question about it. But what I noticed most was it seemed cheaply made. Sitting there watching a 175 pound guy cause the deck lids to dip every time he went to the deck really pointed that out. I would term them a potato chip boat. Not much of a comparison in quality IMHO.
    17 Ranger Z520c Black Out Edition
    Yamaha 250 SHO

Ranger is King. Its the pinnacle that everyone will shoot for. I use to think their boats were overrated until I bought one. What Im about to tell you take it to the bank. Ranger might not be #1 in every aspect but in most cases they are top 3 in every one. Hard to beat a Ranger.
    2020 Ranger Z520L 250 Pro XS 4

7. Banned
    I have only been a ranger owner for 4 years with a 2013 model and I have to say it's a solid well built boat. I use my boat often but I also take very good care of it. I've called ranger for a few minor parts before they sold and after they sold. If ranger wants to keep that "king" status they need to pull up thier socks and go back to old school business practices where the owner is the boss. My buddy like me purchased a used ranger and all the front deck lids where cracked (odd cause the boat was in mint shape) and never noticed until his second season with it. One call to ranger and they sent him all new lids carpeted and ready to go. I feel if I had this issues today I would not get this service anymore. If this doesn't change my next boat won't be a ranger, I will look at basscat or skeeter... I do like my ranger now tho, if I know I can buy a new ranger with same quality as I have with old school customer service I'd be all over a new one.

8. Member
    I don’t think you can beat a 520-521 Ranger on the trolling motor.
    2018 Ranger 520L with Mercury 250 Pro XS
    Fitzgerald Rods
    Lews Products
    River Runner Baits

9. Member
    Every time I look at a different brand, I always go back in my mind and compare it to a Ranger. For me that's all the convincing I need.

I went back and forth looking at Phoenix after selling my 2015 Ranger 520. Ended up with a new 2020 Ranger 520 and very happy with the boat. Phoenix is a really good boat but I like the finish and the looks of a Ranger better. Plus, the resale on a used Ranger is hard to beat.

By the way Pro’s Choice Marine in Warsaw, MO are great to work with. Pete Peterson did a great job and provided excellent communication and follow up. Highly recommend Pete and Pro’s Choice.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rtrose View Post
    Every time I look at a different brand, I always go back in my mind and compare it to a Ranger. For me that's all the convincing I need.
    Yep, spent a lot of time at the Houston Boat Show looking at all the brands. All manufacturers have problems, it's a man made manufactured product. I even considered buying a Nitro just to save money, glad I didn't pull that trigger with the wood transom, etc. Weight is speed, if you want a go fast boat, you need to cut weight or use expensive carbon fiber materials which drives up the cost. Thus, glad I bought another Ranger (all I have ever owned) and if I live long enough or need another boat, it will most likely be a Ranger.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by headhigh View Post

Wife for sure :-)

13. Scraps
    Quote Originally Posted by headhigh View Post

About right, legal fees + alternate housing, that's what my divorce cost!!!!!!
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

14. Member
    Just so you all know, went with a Z520L. No bird for me

16. Member
    Congrats....post some pics when you get it
    2019 Ranger Z520C DC / 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke

Quote Originally Posted by krindgen View Post
    You're actually asking for reassurance, to make the jump. I did it a few years ago. Go for it. One big thing I wish I had considered more was the layout. Not a big fan of my 819's layout compared to Ranger. I don't think you're gonna find a prettier, more sturdy feeling boat than a Ranger. Price and the ride quality were big factors for me. I'll also say this, I got $7500 for an 18yr old Ranger with a Ficht motor on it. That's not bad.
    Speaking of resale, I sold my 24 year-old 361V with a 150 Merc for $10500.

Steel City Bassmasters - Granite City, Illinois

18. Member
    This has been a good thread. I too have been looking hard at the two. At the Houston boat show I looked over the Phoenix and honestly, I just wasn't overly impressed. I mean it's a great looking boat, but the lack of a quality trailer, low carpet grade, and a few other items just didn't make it look like a premium product. The hull and layout really makes we want one, but there are many other things that make me hesitate on them.

I feel like if the 520 had the ride of say a 921 or champion 210, then you'd have the perfect bass boat. Caymas seems to share some of these characteristics.

I keep hearing about Ranger quality dropping off since the BPS purchase... is there any merit to this?

2018 LEGEND 211R | 250 MERC PROXS

Resale. Resale. Resale.

Quote Originally Posted by jbabin76 View Post
    This has been a good thread. I too have been looking hard at the two. At the Houston boat show I looked over the Phoenix and honestly, I just wasn't overly impressed. I mean it's a great looking boat, but the lack of a quality trailer, low carpet grade, and a few other items just didn't make it look like a premium product. The hull and layout really makes we want one, but there are many other things that make me hesitate on them.

I feel like if the 520 had the ride of say a 921 or champion 210, then you'd have the perfect bass boat. Caymas seems to share some of these characteristics.

I keep hearing about Ranger quality dropping off since the BPS purchase... is there any merit to this?

I’ve been a couple of new boats since the buyout...don’t notice anything different at all. The issues have been support from the factory and there is concern about the trailers no longer being built in-house. Time will tell on everything, but I imagine Ranger will be fine.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast