Thread: Losing bite

Losing bite

I have repowered my 2013 Triton 21HP with a Suzuki 250ss. I love the motor so far. I knew propping it would be tricky. My only concern is when cornering, my prop loses bite. It hasn't hooked yet because I have been careful. It hasn't seemed to make a difference where I set the jackplate or trim. The outboard was mounted in the second hole from the bottom just like my Optimax was. Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.

2. Member
    What are you running for a prop?

3. Member
    you might think about a 28 4 blade Suzuki . Brando Card ran one when he ran a triton.

4. Member
    Right now a Hill Marine Signature SL4 26p. My Croxton prop has shipped today to me. I have tried several different props. 27p Suzuki old style prop made by Turbo. 26p Fury 4

5. Member
    It sounds to me, the uninformed, the motor is mounted so high it is cavitating or a transducer is inducing turbulence into the prop area. I'm running a big 16" diameter prop so I have to set my motor pretty deep because mine comes an inch closer to the surface than a 14 " does.

6. Member
    You can’t assume that setting the Suzuki on the same hole as the Merc will result in the new engine being set at the correct height.

The leg lengths, cav plate location and mounting hole positions on the engine bracket will simply not be exactly the same.

Need to put out of your mind which hole the old engine was set to.

I agree with Bill, it sounds like engine is set a tad too high.

7. Member
    What is a good prop to pad measurement for a Suzuki on a bass boat?