Analog Trim Gauge Problem

I have a 2001 Mercury Model No. 1200412YD, Serial No. 0T382916 with analogue gauges The trim gauge went bad so I replaced it with another Mercury gauge. During the second time out with the boat the second trim gauge went bad. I have checked the voltage at the gauge and I am getting 12.5 volts. I checked the sender on the motor and it changes resistance as it should when the motor raises and lowers. I also checked to see if the resistance at the dash is the same as it is at the cable junction on the motor and it reads identical. The one thing I did notice is when I turn the ignition switch to on my ohm meter doesn't measure any resistance. I'm not sure if this has something to do with power coming from the boat battery versus the battery supplying power to the Fluke meter.

2. Member
    check all grnds, one on lower mtr mount port side , one year warranty on parts from mercury
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    The grounds are fine.

4. Member
    With ignition ON the circuit is live and you cannot measure resistance in a live circuit.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax