Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Not at all saying that you're "nuts"- just pointing out that this is a completely different Mount Design, and there is definitely for-and-aft movement range that is dampened by the mounts, most commonly as the boat is moving across waves or rough water.

The "feel" is no doubt different, as it's a completely different design.

Time will tell- but from what's I've seen, most of them that are "rocking and rolling" would have been "broken and trolling" in the previous models (under the same or similar circumstances).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Soft motor mounts are a huge problem. They create way too much movement, putting excess strain on the transom and jack plate. This causes handling issues as well. The new tri ram mid can be improved by adding solid lower mounts. The 300R HD has a true heavy duty mid section and solid mounts. The ProXS should have more robust mounts for sure.

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Another option is to purchase the "R" engine version if you want more solid (race-type) mounts.

Jared... I'm not sure I agree with your statement above. The mounts don't CREATE movement- they ABSORB vibration and forces (dampening them).

To a certain degree- this would be similar to removing the shock absorbers from your car or truck and replacing them with solid tubes. Were the shock absorbers "creating too much movement"?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    I would think stiffer mounts would help also, in the right chop it will get to bouncing and it seams the only way to stop it is to floor it or trim to drastically different angle.
    It looks to me like it is mostly motor mounts but Im sure the atlas is compounding the "rithmic bounce"

looks like the r's do it also im sure they have a reason for it they have been out for 3 years and haven't heard any falling off a boat yet

Wow !!
    My R motor is nothing like that. Its solid.

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I should point out that the 450R (as pictured in the above video clip) has a completely and utterly different midsection (it's on the AMS, or Verado Midsection).

Just an FYI.

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    I should point out that the 450R (as pictured in the above video clip) has a completely and utterly different midsection (it's on the AMS, or Verado Midsection).

Just an FYI.
    Yes, the 450R uses a version of AMS mid, very different. Don, I agree with you in that some users should get the R version for the stiffer mounts, depending on their use. Every use case is different. The car analogy isn't totally accurate, because of the nature of how boats absorb impact and how the engine produces vibration and movement. Stock rubber mounts, used in high performance use cases or offshore and rough water, the engine can bounce around too much. You need just enough absorption, yet retain control and precision. I think manufactures have gone a little overboard on the NVH (noise, vibration and harshness) which is why we see engines bouncing all over the place. Soft mounts wear out faster and cause undue stress on the transom, jack plate, bracket etc.

I prefer extremely stiff or solid mounts in any performance or semi performance use. The steering and control is vastly improved and they are far more durable. Especially with new four strokes, they are so smooth there is very little vibration even at idle.

9. Member
    The video is very similar to the way my 250 Pro XS bounces. Mine may be a tad worse. I can live with it as long as it doesn't tear anything up.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12