HP Rating Plate Question

I have a 2005 Cougar FTD, rating plate has it at 250hp.
    I have a buddy that’s considering selling his 300 Pro XS to get a new 4 Stroke.
    I was wondering if BassCat would upgrade the coast guard plate to 300, since the current Cougar FTD models are rated for up to 300?

2. Moderator
    Can you drive it with a 250 is the question.

My 2003 Cougar is rated for 285 ! I was told that was because all 300 HP in that era were to heavy
    Thank You Leon Pugh

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudbone View Post
    I have a 2005 Cougar FTD, rating plate has it at 250hp.
    I have a buddy that’s considering selling his 300 Pro XS to get a new 4 Stroke.
    I was wondering if BassCat would upgrade the coast guard plate to 300, since the current Cougar FTD models are rated for up to 300?
    I don’t believe its that simple
    2018 Bass Cat Caracal
    Yamaha 225 SHO

That is correct and today the engines are all capable of lower dry weights matching the 250 series. They’ve done the tag replacement though we caution you on value for resale vs. new cost overall.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Z520C View Post
    Can you drive it with a 250 is the question.
    YES

7. Member
    Guys, just to clarify, I’m not looking at it because I care about going faster...I can assure you that 4000-5000rpms is my average range while running. On my first few boats, I used to pin it every time I could when I was younger, but just don’t care about that much any more.
    Im considering it because I know the history of the owner and he takes just as good care of his equipment as I do. My motor has been strong for 800hrs, mostly due to how I treat it and how it’s serviced.
    From what I can find, the 250/300 weigh the same, so weight isn’t any issue for my hull. (Feel free to correct me if that’s not right-)
    I’m just looking for a back up but the rating plate was the issue because I still fish some tournaments and I wanted to be legal.

8. Member
    No such thing as a "300 ProXS" two stroke. If it is a 300XS, then it will require PREMIUM fuel.

9. Member
    Changing the rating is not simple. I doubt BC will even consider it. The HP ratings are approved by the USCG. BCB would have to resubmit all the documentation and engineering to have your boat rating change even if your boat is identical in construction because of the year it was approved. That wont happen. If you put the 300 on it now with that plate, kiss your insurance goodbye and you take all liability personally.

10. Member
    USGC ratings are for boats under 20'. Over 20' there are no ratings, it's left to the Mfgr.

11. Member
    300Racing, sorry if I didn’t use the proper name, LOL...some of you guys kill me, LOL

(JUST FYI GUY IN PENNSYLVANIA...I ALWAYS RUN E-FREE PREMIUM IN MINE ALREADY AND MY CURRENT XS HAS OVER 800HRS...NO ISSUES WITH MOTOR)
    Last edited by Mudbone; 07-28-2020 at 08:45 PM.

12. Member
    I dont think re-plating will be an issue.
    If your happy with the cost and possible resale value, than buy it and have fun.

Don
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs