96 200 EFI stalls during shift

My uncle's 96 200 EFI stalls when you shift from neutral to forward or reverse.
    It idles perfect in neutral and once in gear and running it idles all day long in gear also.
    Serial number 0G374023
    04 Triton TR21X, 23 SHO NIZPRO'd!!!
    27p Croxton Razor 4

old rigs
    95 BassCat Pantera II, 200 XRi Merc

97 Skeeter ZX185c
    97 ProV150--KOTTMANIZED! 27M

2. Member
    stalls like dies ??? some had shift switches that bumped timming when shifting to adjust for load of larger props might try advance timming just a touch at idle
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    Hi JOE! Me again! But this time my uncle's motor!
    We removed the shift box off my 95 200 Xri....should I do the same with this 96?
    Or please tell me how to advance the idle timing to try.

Thanks again!
    27p Croxton Razor 4

old rigs

97 Skeeter ZX185c

4. Member
    Was looking at his motor today for a few minutes and the Black box on the Portside is not there...the two black boxes on top are there. Pretty sure that's the shift box (idle stabilizer?) that is missing...

So can someone tell me the procedure that goes along with the removal of that box, the timing setting, etc...

Thank you

I think I am gonna have to go through the filters too. I drove this boat a week ago, it ran so perfect. :(
    27p Croxton Razor 4

old rigs

97 Skeeter ZX185c

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 87gtNOS View Post
    Hi JOE! Me again! But this time my uncle's motor!
    We removed the shift box off my 95 200 Xri....should I do the same with this 96?
    Or please tell me how to advance the idle timing to try.

Thanks again!
    i would/ remove module , make sure theres a jumper on switchboxes (blk/white )terminal grnd gry/wht wire that went to module set timming at 23 max , may can adjust idle timming up on screw just above center bolt on spark arm ,loosen jam nut and loosen screw to adv timming , lil goes long way
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................