Tow vehicle for bassboat

Well Mr.Tightwad is ready for a new to me tow vehicle. Currently have ‘99 Yukon but it’s getting tired. Looking for ideas to pull a 20 foot Winner bass boat. ( yes it’s old too, told you I was tight with money) . Anyone using a V6 to pull a fairly heavy bassboat? I do have trailer brakes but don’t want something too much under powered that I have to run wide open to pull it. Open to pick ups too, not set on SUVs. Anyone using the Chevy Traverse?

Well I would tell you 4Runner pulls my 206 just fine but you'll pay for a good dependable vehicle that holds its value. So you'll have to get off your tightwadeness but over its service life you'll understand.

Why does it hold its value? Tires, brakes and oil changes!

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

3. Member
    I would be more concerned about the size of the truck than V8 vs V6. Stoping is the most important consideration. Trailer brakes or not, a heavy boat will push a light truck. I once had a 19ft Nitro that I towed with a Bronco 11 in the late eighties. One day I was going down a
    steep hill and the boat started pushing the light Bronco ll. Next thing I was facing ongoing traffic as the boat caused the Bronco to spin 180. The boat was at a right angle to the Bronco as it bent the tongue of the trailer . I was blessed as I survived that. I always go with a vehicle that has enough gross weight to pull a bass boat.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tournament2000 View Post
    Well Mr.Tightwad is ready for a new to me tow vehicle. Currently have ‘99 Yukon but it’s getting tired. Looking for ideas to pull a 20 foot Winner bass boat. ( yes it’s old too, told you I was tight with money) . Anyone using a V6 to pull a fairly heavy bassboat? I do have trailer brakes but don’t want something too much under powered that I have to run wide open to pull it. Open to pick ups too, not set on SUVs. Anyone using the Chevy Traverse?
    My Daughter and SIL have a Traverse and I assure you it is NO tow vehicle. Any tow vehicle for me will be 4 wheel drive. I've seen too many get stuck on a slick steep ramp and have to have help to get out. My next priority is proper brakes and not just on the trailer but on the tow rig also. Too many vehicles nowadays have minimal braking power unless upgraded and that ain't cheap. Finally I worry about what's under the hood. I'm presently running a V6 but looking for something bigger. The 6 does OK but I feel it's being worked too hard. Trying to decide which V8 4x4 truck I'm going to go with and would suggest you do the same. Just one mans opinion but hey, you asked.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Syko View Post
    Finally I worry about what's under the hood. I'm presently running a V6 but looking for something bigger. The 6 does OK but I feel it's being worked too hard.
    Depends of the V6. I won't do a turbo long term and you be surprised how well mine does I was in 2005 for the first one. Overdrive a/c on 75mph if you want it doesn't seem to care. Is it a power house no and it knows its there but doesn't seem to mind. Its not a drag race and I'm not holding anybody up and not real bad on fuel.

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"

2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

6. Member
    Thanks for the replies, guess I’ll stick with the Tahoe/Suburban type vehicle. Son in law just bought a crew cab Silverado I’m going to pull it with one day to see if I want to go back to pick ups

7. Member
    I tow with a Dodge Durango v6 With a pentastar transmission and I Love it. The tow rating is 6200lbs so my boat is about half of that rating and pulls it well. Usually average 16-18mpg towing depending on hills and whatnot (drove from CNY to 1000 islands this past weekend, 200+ mi trip total and averaged 17.3mpg Towing). Never had an issue stopping and I’ve had to make some quick ones before as lights turn yellow on 55mph roads but never felt I was being pushed at all. People who say suvs aren’t capable because of stopping distance must drive like maniacs. Use common sense, don’t excessively speed and you won’t have an issue.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tournament2000 View Post
    Thanks for the replies, guess I’ll stick with the Tahoe/Suburban type vehicle. Son in law just bought a crew cab Silverado I’m going to pull it with one day to see if I want to go back to pick ups
    Most of the time the big SUV is going to ride better due to their suspension. Nothing is perfect, I use the bed of the truck weekly. We’ve had Escalade, a couple of AWD 4-Runners etc... my wife currently has a Lexus GX460.

If you really like the big GM SUV I’d stay with em.

Remember it is Torque numbers, not Horsepower, that makes for a good tow vehicle. Many 6 cyl engines have good low-end torque numbers. Even a new Ranger Z521/250hp rig has a GVWR of 5400 lbs and putting 1000 lbs of stuff in it still leaves it far below a Suburban's 9000 lb towing capacity. And the newer 6 and 9-speed automatics have tighter shift points and a computer tow/haul mode for less heat while towing. Well maintained brakes (or upgraded rotors and pads) much cheaper than $70000 plus for a big SUV. And the name of control is SPEED. Just because you can do 85 mph pulling your boat does not mean you should. Agree 4WD or AWD a plus especially on less than well-maintained launch ramps. Also driving that 6 banger without the boat you can see upwards of 27 MPG or better. Gas is cheap now but it won't stay that way. At $4 a gallon (likely you will see that during the life of your vehicle) the difference between 18 and 26 MPG non-towing starts to add up. All that said I have owned two Suburbans since 1990. The 90 went 316,000 miles and my 06 now has 240,000. Neither one knew my 3600 pound 451 Ranger rig was behind them. Going to drive my 2006 into the ground because being retired I can not afford today's prices for a BIG SUV. But when it dies I see a Honda Ridgeline in my future. Tows 5000 lbs, comes in AWD, has a back seat (although a very short bed), and is a little more than half the cost of the new GM or Ford big boy. Now if you need a big truck for WORK-WORK then you need that tool. But if towing a bass boat is the main reason for a truck you have options.
    Last edited by hamer1553; 07-29-2020 at 02:09 AM.

10. Member
    1/2 ton V8 truck at minimum.

My dad has pulled his TR21X with his Tacoma 4x4 for years with zero issues. Yes, you "know its back there" but unless you are completely oblivious to what is going on that's going to happen with just about any reasonable consumer vehicle.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

Kenworth then

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ECobb91 View Post
    I tow with a Dodge Durango v6 With a pentastar transmission and I Love it. The tow rating is 6200lbs so my boat is about half of that rating and pulls it well. Usually average 16-18mpg towing depending on hills and whatnot (drove from CNY to 1000 islands this past weekend, 200+ mi trip total and averaged 17.3mpg Towing). Never had an issue stopping and I’ve had to make some quick ones before as lights turn yellow on 55mph roads but never felt I was being pushed at all. People who say suvs aren’t capable because of stopping distance must drive like maniacs. Use common sense, don’t excessively speed and you won’t have an issue.

I came from a 1999 Chevy Tahoe 4 door to the Durango v6 with tow package. Mine is a 2011. What I noticed is that Durango v6 both pulled and braked better then my v8 tahoe. I was pulling a 19'6 Ranger fish and ski at the time. Now towing a 3600# total weight phoenix with the Durango and love it. I tow to Okeechobee Florida (998 miles) and back one time a year. I get about 16.5mph towing. A heavier boat and more towing might drive me to a v8 Durango but sold on this vehicle. Next one will be a Durango.
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

Always liked the comfort of an SUV actually I towed with a Tahoe for years without issue.

Been using an older Ford Explorer lately with a v8, and it's not bad either. Has lots of weight.

1998 Stratos 285 Pro
    1989 Evinrude XP 150(E150STLCEM)(08199802)
    2004 Ford Explorer NBX V8
    1998 Jeep XJ 4.0L V6
    House Cat named Patches
    Remington 700, Old Cooey 12 gauge, A lot of Fishing Rods
    Some tools, garden hose with outboard attachment, 3 crow decoys, 8 Track Tape player,
    A Billy Bass, and clothing from the 80's.

15. Member
    I have a 12’ f150 with the 3.5 eco boost my truck has 134k on it. When towing my bass cat I can tell it’s back there if the road is rough but other then that she brakes fine and the turbo v6 is a torque monster with 420ft lbs
    2020 pantera classic
    200 mercury 4s

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hamer1553 View Post
    Remember it is Torque numbers, not Horsepower, that makes for a good tow vehicle. Many 6 cyl engines have good low-end torque numbers. Even a new Ranger Z521/250hp rig has a GVWR of 5400 lbs and putting 1000 lbs of stuff in it still leaves it far below a Suburban's 9000 lb towing capacity. And the newer 6 and 9-speed automatics have tighter shift points and a computer tow/haul mode for less heat while towing. Well maintained brakes (or upgraded rotors and pads) much cheaper than $70000 plus for a big SUV. And the name of control is SPEED. Just because you can do 85 mph pulling your boat does not mean you should. Agree 4WD or AWD a plus especially on less than well-maintained launch ramps. Also driving that 6 banger without the boat you can see upwards of 27 MPG or better. Gas is cheap now but it won't stay that way. At $4 a gallon (likely you will see that during the life of your vehicle) the difference between 18 and 26 MPG non-towing starts to add up. All that said I have owned two Suburbans since 1990. The 90 went 316,000 miles and my 06 now has 240,000. Neither one knew my 3600 pound 451 Ranger rig was behind them. Going to drive my 2006 into the ground because being retired I can not afford today's prices for a BIG SUV. But when it dies I see a Honda Ridgeline in my future. Tows 5000 lbs, comes in AWD, has a back seat (although a very short bed), and is a little more than half the cost of the new GM or Ford big boy. Now if you need a big truck for WORK-WORK then you need that tool. But if towing a bass boat is the main reason for a truck you have options.
    The AWD Black Edition Ridgeline I drove for a couple years indeed handled the stuff I pulled. The main reason I went back to a full size was just missing the room. The Ridgeline averaged 6 MPG more than my Tundra. Towing MPG was about the same. Starting price is not half a full size. My Tundra and that Ridgeline are about the same MSRP. The Ridgeline did have a few more electronic goodies for the mid 40's price. The Taco was just too small inside for me and the Honda 3.5 felt like it would run circles around the 3.5 in the Taco.