Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

KY Lake the end of Aug

Never been up there late in the summer. going to be there the week before Labor Day. Ledges? Creeks? What are they usually doing when their is no QWAWENTEEN?

2. Member
    fish will be pretty scattered, some will still be out deep and some will be moving up. Look for fishing to be really tough.

3. Member
    Haven’t heard of anyone getting on them well off shore this year. Some 15” here and there but not the ledge bite People think of. August historically is the toughest month to fish ky. Plan on throwing a wacky rig, drop shot, and shakey head. Maybe even focus on a night time spinnerbait bite for smallmouth. To be honest I wouldn’t suggest making the trip just to fish.
    Murray State Alum
    2007 Champion 210 with all the toys

4. Member
    Agree with the others, it's a tough time to be fishing. Docks may be a semi-successful method using the same type of setup bloodriver suggested (wacky rig, drop shot, shaky head)

5. Member
    Are you really driving from Florida to fish ky lake? Think I would stop at Guntersville. I would save my money. I live in ky and don't even waste my time at ky lake anymore. If I was driving up from Florida to fish in ky. I would choose Cumberland lake. But would wait till November ish for the smallies to move shallow. JMO

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jigman78 View Post
    Are you really driving from Florida to fish ky lake? Think I would stop at Guntersville. I would save my money. I live in ky and don't even waste my time at ky lake anymore. If I was driving up from Florida to fish in ky. I would choose Cumberland lake. But would wait till November ish for the smallies to move shallow. JMO

I can see the lake from my house and wouldn’t go out there to fish now and I use to fish it 6 days a week. After the past 3 years of not catching, I’m done with it for awhile. You will pass a lot better lakes in Alabama and Tennessee just to come here.

7. Member
    Santee Cooper is a lot closer to you along with a whole bunch of other good lakes you will go by on your way up, if I lived in FL there is no way I would make the drive to fish KY lake.

8. Member
    I fish it about every week because Im stubborn. With that said, August and September is my "Offseason". It will be really tough. Fish brushpiles on flats or docks would be what I would do.

9. Member
    you finding those piles on the main or they in the creek arms?

10. Member
    Stop at Guntersville, Chick, Pickwick, etc, you’ll be happy that you did.
    1994 Stratos 201 Pro XL
    225 Optimax

11. Ranger Boats Moderator 22RangerZ520R's Avatar
    Are you really driving from Florida to fish ky lake? Think I would stop at Guntersville. I would save my money. I live in ky and don't even waste my time at ky lake anymore.
    Yep, dead sea imo.

Quote Originally Posted by clayrhye View Post
    Stop at Guntersville, Chick, Pickwick, etc, you’ll be happy that you did.

2022 Ranger Z520R | 2022 Platinum F250
    Apex 19 | (2) Apex 16's | Mega 360 | Mega Live

12. Member
    I'd also suggest somewhere else, anywhere else really, but it will be pretty tough in general at most places in August. If you come to KY though I'd think shallow by then.

thanks for the insight. I am on my way to Illinois to bury my mother and fathers ashes. Was going to do it in April and stop and KY before we got up there. Had to postpone for obvious reasons. I dont care if i dont catch a ton of fish. I will take some boat rides and have some quiet time. Good enough for me. I will check in after the visit. Thanks everyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fulch27 View Post
    I'd also suggest somewhere else, anywhere else really, but it will be pretty tough in general at most places in August. If you come to KY though I'd think shallow by then.

14. Member
    You could hit Barkley and try Carolina Rigs on the channel drops on the main river channel or at the mouth of major creeks. But, like everyone has said, it's going to be tough this time of the year.

15. Member
    I haven’t heard of anyone catching anything offshore this summer worth talking about. Watch brandon hunters fishing reports on YouTube. He’s been catching some on a topwater. If I was down there I would try a frog around shade
    Murray State Alum
    2007 Champion 210 with all the toys

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BloodRiverBandit View Post
    I haven’t heard of anyone catching anything offshore this summer worth talking about. Watch brandon hunters fishing reports on YouTube. He’s been catching some on a topwater. If I was down there I would try a frog around shade
    This, spot on right now!!

17. Member
    We were there a few weeks ago, fished north end of the lake. Finesse patterns around make lake boat docks seemed to be best. DT6 crankbaits, small 3 inch swimbaits, and weightless senkos. Find the bait and you will find enough bass to keep a smile on your face. Good luck

That is what Dave Stewart told me too. Going to be fishing Florida style for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by RangerRodney View Post
    This, spot on right now!!

19. Member
    I would not come to cumberland!! We have been overrun here by the plague of yankees! Drunks have been as bad as i've ever seen it this year
    "Luminous beings are we not this crude matter." Yoda

20. Member
    Lol. I guess been down the last two weekends and ain't had one issue. Be down 4 days this weekend. Maybe some of you guys that bitch about a lake like Cumberland being busy should really try going somewhere like Taylorsville lake. Than let talk about drunk *******s.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast