2005 150 VMAX Intermittent Starting - Electrical-Related

Hey guys,

I recently started having some minor misfires at idle with my ‘05 150 VMAX. Last time I went out, the boat started fine and ran fine for about 2 hr. I stopped at a spot to fish and when I went to start the motor, nothing happened and it did not even spin over. I also noticed that the trim on the shifter would not work and the gas gauges didn’t work. All other accessories including the other trim switches worked fine. After about 20min, I tried again and it cranked right up. This happened twice while out there.

I also noticed that whenever it would start to misfire, my trim on the shifter and gas gauges would not work as well. Not sure where a relay would be located or what to be looking for so any help is greatly appreciated. It is definitely something power/wiring related to the motor. I just was not sure if it was a starter solenoid because of the trim and gauges not working. Battery is 6mo old and powers everything else fine. Kill switch works fine as well.

Tanks in advance!

Mark

2. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Start with your battery connections, make sure everything is clean (free from tarnish & corrosion) and tight, including crimps. Also check the positive and negative cables at the block and starter relay. After that, my next suspect would probably be the key switch.

3. Member
    I went through all the connections and everything looks fine. I just recently went through all of this and added fuse blocks to clean up and provide more consistent power. Now that you mention it, I believe the ignition switch would be the most likely culprit based on the symptoms. I’ll check that out, thanks for the lead.