Thread: Tire pressure

Tire pressure

How much do you tinker with your tire pressure?

Take this example. You leave someplace in the far north in the winter to fish Okeechobee. It is 10 below zero when you leave and it is 90 degrees in Florida. Since tire pressure changes about 1 psi for every 10 degree change in temperature you are looking at a 10 psi cold tire pressure change. Would you stop and adjust during the trip?

Long haul truckers must deal with this often and I wonder what they do.
    2006 Triton TR196 w/ 200 Optimax \ 2021 AlumaRyder 1860 w/ 200 Rotax

Quote Originally Posted by zelmo View Post
    How much do you tinker with your tire pressure?

Take this example. You leave someplace in the far north in the winter to fish Okeechobee. It is 10 below zero when you leave and it is 90 degrees in Florida. Since tire pressure changes about 1 psi for every 10 degree change in temperature you are looking at a 10 psi cold tire pressure change. Would you stop and adjust during the trip?

Long haul truckers must deal with this often and I wonder what they do.

Truckers—- we don’t do anything. I checked the psi in my steer tires religiously, 105 psi. ( with a gauge) drive tires and trailer tires I bumped them.

I could always tell if the front tires were down as low as 95 psi, the back trailer (s) would start walking around. I have never towed my boat from one extreme to another. My FIL used to be a snowbird, leave the Midwest in Jan. ( pulling camper) And drive down to the Rio Valley for 4 months, he never messed with tire pressure

I wold never mess with tire pressure mid-trip. Don't over-think it.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

4. Member
    If I went through a 100 degree shift then I guess I might consider checking, but for anything normal I never do. Sometimes in the spring and fall, the morning to afternoon temp swings can be 30 degrees but that is not worth worrying about.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

If my truck beeps at me and says a tire is low I fill it when I get home. If I remember.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

If I do that trip from ND to FL I would probably be starting out at 50-55 psi but by the time I get to fl they would be 65 so I. The range of endurance tires, I would check before the trip and somewhere that's 50*.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089