Master built smoker question

I have had a master built with the add on smoke box for a few years and have smoked damn near everything in it. It produces good food but I can’t help but notice that everything from beef, to deer, to chicken tastes pretty well the same. Same flavor, smoke etc. I’m seriously considering a pellet grill but don’t want to waste the money if it’s just more of the same. What say you, wise grillers of the BBC.

2. Member
    I do not have a pellet grill but have had food from them. IMO there is no difference between them and my masterbuilt. Smoke is smoke and meat can only accept so much before it starts to get bitter.

Smoke, in my opinion, is just complementary to rubs, salt and various peppers as well as other spices, herbs, etc.. The food that I cook on my egg type grill never tastes the same unless intentional. Have you tried using different types of wood? I can sure taste a difference when I switch up the wood. I do have a pellet grill ordered, but I'm still going to use my egg for certain smaller cooking needs. Just think you may need to experiment a little.

4. Member
    Are you possibly over smoking ? There is a certain point where you need to stop smoking

5. Member
    I agree with Axkiker. I only smoke my meats for an hour or two. Then stop feeding it. If you over smoke it all you will taste is the smoke and not much of the natural flavor of the meat. You can always switch up the types of wood you smoke too. Lots to choose from.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bhjr. View Post
    Smoke, in my opinion, is just complementary to rubs, salt and various peppers as well as other spices, herbs, etc.. The food that I cook on my egg type grill never tastes the same unless intentional. Have you tried using different types of wood? I can sure taste a difference when I switch up the wood. I do have a pellet grill ordered, but I'm still going to use my egg for certain smaller cooking needs. Just think you may need to experiment a little.
    This could be an issue. I need to expirement more.

I had a couple of Masterbuilts over the years. They were great. I switched to a Pitboss pellet smoker. Big difference in taste. I think the the pellet smoker does a much better job. I liked it so much that I sold my BGE and smoker on a trailer.

8. Member
    Mark, which Pit Boss do you have? I’m really leaning that way.

9. Member
    Masterbuilt 1050 or 560 gravity fed smoker. Best of both worlds. The convenience of a pellet grill with charcoal flavor and they will sear the heck out of a steak. 700 degrees is insane. It's too hot really.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    I had a couple of Masterbuilts over the years. They were great. I switched to a Pitboss pellet smoker. Big difference in taste. I think the the pellet smoker does a much better job. I liked it so much that I sold my BGE and smoker on a trailer.
    I finally got to try a brisket my mother in law cooked on her Pit Boss. Damn good brisket. I think I’ve made up my mind.

I had a Masterbuilt electric smoker that did OK. I got a Camp Chef Woodwind earlier this year. I like it a lot better. Sold the Masterbuilt after one smoke. And as someone said, a lot of the flavor is in your rubs.
    __________________________________________________ _____________
    2005 Lund Rebel SS 1650 w/25 HP Merc 4-stroke
    USAF 1985 - 2006 NKAWTG!

Quote Originally Posted by leethefishking View Post
    Mark, which Pit Boss do you have? I’m really leaning that way.

I have the 820. Academy had it on sale plus I got a $100 rebate in tge form of an Academy gift card. With them stocking up for fall they should be having sales soon on them.

13. Member
    Thanks Mark!

You're going to like cooking on a pellet grill. Soo easy and tasty!

15. Shutterbug Forum Moderator bdog7198's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    I have the 820. Academy had it on sale plus I got a $100 rebate in tge form of an Academy gift card. With them stocking up for fall they should be having sales soon on them.
    funny....I had a Masterbuilt and switched to a Pit Boss 820 also. night and day difference. The Masterbuilt just sits in the garage collecting dust.

Love the option of sliding open the slots over the firebox in the Pit Boss to sear steaks.
    Prints and more available at: http://BSPhotography.co/
    Digital downloads available at: https://licensing.pixels.com/profiles/1-brian-shoemaker
    IG: BSPhotographyZ9

Do you ever clean the smoker? I hose mine out every once in a while. Also, are you making sure the wood is smoking and not burning? I added lava rocks to my wood tray to keep the wood away from direct flame (mine is propane).

I do notice a difference from my turkey, beef and pork.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

Quote Originally Posted by bdog7198 View Post
    funny....I had a Masterbuilt and switched to a Pit Boss 820 also. night and day difference. The Masterbuilt just sits in the garage collecting dust.

Love the option of sliding open the slots over the firebox in the Pit Boss to sear steaks.

I gave my electric smoker awatmy after I bought the PitBoss

Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    Do you ever clean the smoker? I hose mine out every once in a while. Also, are you making sure the wood is smoking and not burning? I added lava rocks to my wood tray to keep the wood away from direct flame (mine is propane).

I do notice a difference from my turkey, beef and pork.
    I take a stiff bristle brush to mine maybe once a year. Just knock off the crust then sweep it out. Scrape out any crud from the bottom that misses the drip pan. The wood chips shouldn’t burn. If they do, maybe close the vents a bit.