Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lake James Chain Angola Indiana

I hit Lake James with my buddy Jim last weekend. Nasty weather got us off the lake a little early, but we did manage to get some fishing in the morning. Tournament guys, in this video make sure you don't do this to your fellow anglers out there. Always use proper boating etique when out there fishing.

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/fish...na-t13878.html

2. Member
    Thats nothing, Ive had them come close enough I could throw a cigarette in their boat. You just scratch your head and take a deep breath. Been a lot of years that Ive fished James. Winning pattern used to be 4" worms on scattered weed clumps, after the pop-R bite died. Good video for a short day.
    Now, who knows what the bite is

Quote Originally Posted by brushsjigs View Post
    Thats nothing, Ive had them come close enough I could throw a cigarette in their boat. You just scratch your head and take a deep breath. Been a lot of years that Ive fished James. Winning pattern used to be 4" worms on scattered weed clumps, after the pop-R bite died. Good video for a short day.
    Now, who knows what the bite is
    Sometimes it's hard to take that deep breath.
    Thanks for the kind reply and info.

They didn't look all that close for a lake in this state, and especially James. I've had people in ski boats, pontoons, jet ski's, and various fishing boats come close enough to toss a weightless trick worm into their boat. Happens most every time I go to a northern lake, anymore I just pay no attention and keep fishing.
    "It's even, but it ain't settled. Let's settle it." Fast Eddie
    I still can't believe they actually won...Cubs Fans Everywhere

Quote Originally Posted by cubswin View Post
    They didn't look all that close for a lake in this state, and especially James. I've had people in ski boats, pontoons, jet ski's, and various fishing boats come close enough to toss a weightless trick worm into their boat. Happens most every time I go to a northern lake, anymore I just pay no attention and keep fishing.
    Wake.jpg

I guess I'm old school. I have manners when I'm out fishing. You can tell by the water churned in this picture how close they were to the bow of the boat.

6. Member
    Ya' ever hooked anyone?... I had a jet skier almost ride into one of my casts between me and the shore... of course if anything had happened it would have been my fault because I wasn't watching where he was going. There's lots of water out there, we all don't have to use the same few gallons to get around in it.
    Last edited by BackLash625; 07-31-2020 at 08:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BackLash625 View Post
    Ya' ever hooked anyone?... I had a jet skier almost ride into one of my casts between me and the shore... of course if anything had happened it would have been my fault because I wasn't watching where he was going. There's lots of water out there, we all don't have to use the same few gallons to get around.
    I haven't, but just from bad (or good) luck. I've bounced baits off of pontoons more than once, and a couple years ago off a jon boat. Collected some fishing line with a c-rig at culver on a weed bed in the middle of the lake when two guys parked next to us. I asked nicely if they would leave, they didn't think they should, so I just casted across their lines and pulled them into the boat and cut off their baits. That was on a week day.

I don't get all that angry anymore. Last time I got mad was when a ski boat went across my line and sucked it up in their prop. I thought the line was going to cut the kid on ski's, so I burned and cut my hand breaking it off. I went over to their boat, blood dripping off my hand, and mentioned they probably shouldn't ski so damn close to people fishing. That was on a tuesday at winona, 3 boats on the lake.

Friend of mine did hook a jet ski back in about 1995. The CO that responded told the guy on the jet ski he shouldn't of been riding so close and called a ambulance for him. Times have changed since then, now you'd get sued and arrested.

We had a skier try to spray us with his wake. He went over the top of my wifes line (50# braid). The wife screamed, I look back and it looked like her rod was shot out of a cannon. Needless to say, that rod and reel was never seen again.

Quote Originally Posted by Bartman View Post
    We had a skier try to spray us with his wake. He went over the top of my wifes line (50# braid). The wife screamed, I look back and it looked like her rod was shot out of a cannon. Needless to say, that rod and reel was never seen again.
    I believe I'd of had a few words over that. For the most part on mississenwa and salamonie people don't cause too much of a problem and I fish them more than anything. On the lakes north I usually hit barbee in the summer, or the smaller lakes that don't have many ski boats on them. Love Tippy and wawasee, but if I fish them in the summer I just get too aggravated by the rudeness of others. Fishing wawasee last year, had 4 boats go by at about 10mph throwing huge wakes, within in a short cast. Whole lake behind me, and they felt they had to go between me and the point I was fishing.

I believe I'd of had a few words over that. For the most part on mississenwa and salamonie people don't cause too much of a problem and I fish them more than anything. On the lakes north I usually hit barbee in the summer, or the smaller lakes that don't have many ski boats on them. Love Tippy and wawasee, but if I fish them in the summer I just get too aggravated by the rudeness of others. Fishing wawasee last year, had 4 boats go by at about 10mph throwing huge wakes, within in a short cast. Whole lake behind me, and they felt they had to go between me and the point I was fishing.
    We did have a few words.

11. Member
    …. I just get too aggravated by the rudeness of others. Fishing wawasee last year, had 4 boats go by at about 10mph throwing huge wakes, within in a short cast. Whole lake behind me, and they felt they had to go between me and the point I was fishing.
    Ditto that.. when I can't keep the trolling motor in the water for bouncing on wake boat waves then it's time for me to just leave.

12. Member
    Hey guys-my wife, kids and I just rented a place on Lake James for a week later this month. My son and I will be fishing quite a bit and we’ll also be tubing some. Can you guys tell me if there are any boating hazards, rules, or other things I should know before I go? I think the nearest launch is on Big Otter Lake. Is there a launch fee? Lake permit required? I don’t fish in IN very much but remember having to buy a special boat sticker for Brookville years ago. Thx for any help/info you can provide.
    2022 Ranger z518 / 2022 Merc Pro XS 200 serial # 3B137559

Quote Originally Posted by bman5150 View Post
    Hey guys-my wife, kids and I just rented a place on Lake James for a week later this month. My son and I will be fishing quite a bit and we’ll also be tubing some. Can you guys tell me if there are any boating hazards, rules, or other things I should know before I go? I think the nearest launch is on Big Otter Lake. Is there a launch fee? Lake permit required? I don’t fish in IN very much but remember having to buy a special boat sticker for Brookville years ago. Thx for any help/info you can provide.
    Can also launch on jimmerson. I usually just pay to use the ramp in the channel between jimmerson and james because it is easy to get to. No fee or lake permit needed at the public ramps. Only need the lake permits at the corps and state park lakes.

14. Member
    Thanks Cubswin. I’m assuming all of the channels are no wake, correct? Any other no wake areas I need to know about? Thx!

Thanks Cubswin. I’m assuming all of the channels are no wake, correct? Any other no wake areas I need to know about? Thx!
    Don’t remember, think snow and both otters are no wake.

Don’t remember, think snow and both otters are no wake.
    The channels on Snow are no wake, but the lake is full speed. Plenty of skiers out there. You are correct on both Otters. I believe they are 10 mph or less. Jimmerson channel has bouys marking no wake zones.

17. Member
    Thanks guys. Appreciate the info!

18. Member
    Fished a half day yesterday and this morning. Lots of bites and fish just nothing of any size. They all seem to be mostly 11-14” fish and look a little scrawny. Ton of bass though for sure. Fun to get lots of bites but I’m starting to doubt these lakes have quality fish! More likely, I just don’t know how to find the larger fish. Very pretty lake system though.

Fished a half day yesterday and this morning. Lots of bites and fish just nothing of any size. They all seem to be mostly 11-14” fish and look a little scrawny. Ton of bass though for sure. Fun to get lots of bites but I’m starting to doubt these lakes have quality fish! More likely, I just don’t know how to find the larger fish. Very pretty lake system though.
    Oh there are some nice fish in that chain.

20. Member
    I did find a few today. There are a ton of 10-13” fish though! And many of them do look a little scrawny. But it’s been fun. Caught a ton today and even a few decent fish. I think my best was about 3. It’s a nice place. Fun to fish too. And super quiet during the week!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast