Livewell filling with water/won't pump out?

Hi all. 2008 18 Explorer. I've noticed that my live well is filling with water while i'm on the lake. I flip the pumpout switch up and nothing seems to happen. The water drains out just fine once I get the boat back on the trailer. Why is this happening?

2. Member
    Do you have a plug in your live well ? If you do, and it’s not in, it will fill to lake level. When you hit the pump out switch, nothing happens as in, pump not working or not emptying the live well ?

3. Member
    If it's not plugged it will fill as fast as you pump it out.

4. Member
    If it is draining out when loaded on the trailer then your bottom drain plug(s) are not installed.

When you launch the boat, they'll fill up to the outside waterline, usually around half full. You turn the pump out on but it will very slowly gain on the incoming water.

5. Member
    Makes sense. New to this whole bass boat thing. Thank you for the replies!

Is the livewell drain plug next to the normal drain plug, or is it inside the livewell?

Also, when i'm fishing a tournament, I assume I would want the livewell drain plug in that way it only fills when I want it to, yes? When would I ever want to keep the livewell drain plug out?

6. Member
    It's inside the live well and it's the lower of the two that should be in there if your boat has a pump out too. You only want it out when your draining it dry and I usually keep mine plugged when fishing to keep water out.

7. Member
    Attached a pic of the left side livewell. Didn't look in the right one yet. But do I take off the screen and put the drain plug in there?
    Attached Images Attached Images

8. Member
    no, you don't need to remove the screen. There's a hole in the side near the bottom, in that recessed area. but it's kinda hard to see. Mine is in the starboard side well.
    Good luck...I know I went "Well, hell! How did I miss that?" when i found mine!
    BOB GASKINS TARPON SPRINGS,FL
    07 TR186 150 OPTI

The drain hole for the plug is in the recessed area, look in the other livewell.
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

10. Member
    Thanks to all the replies. Found the hole. Geez it's a little hard to get to. What size plug fits?

11. Member
    Also if you dont plug it and make a run across the lake, it will empty out on you...Forgot to close mine one time (have a remote valve switch in mine) and when I got to my spot I looked to check on the fish and find no water, luckily it was a short run

12. Member
    Moeller 5/8” air chamber plugs....they have a shoulder to them....or go to lowes.
    Lightning 6
    2007 TR-196DC

13. Member
    It might be a threaded stopper mine is and it's a 2004 but the 5/8" Moeller bait well plugs work and West Marine has them.