Alignment on a Harley

Has anyone ever had an alignment done on a Harley? Sounds like quite the process so I don't think I could do it myself at home but I know it needs to be done
    with the tire wear I am getting.
    Plus I don't have the right lift and jack that is needed. Swing arm bushings look brand new. No play in the steering head bearing. Only thing I'm not sure about is the motor mounts so those would need to be checked/changed before alignment.

Just have no idea what kind of time they will charge to get it done?

What kind of tire wear are you experiencing? To my knowledge the engine alignment and rear axle alignment are more prone to wear out the drive belt. Of course rear axle alignment would cause a slight tracking issue.

Getting high sides on the rain grooves, I would almost call it scalloping. ad a wobble but after a front tire change it went away. now the tire is wearing the same again
    so there has to be something pulling the alignment out..
    Was talking with someone yesterday and he said if a motor mount is going it could go out of alignment under throttle and then look normal when sitting. Have some stuff to look over this weekend.

Scalloping on the front tire? Typically comes from running low air pressure. It doesn't take long for it to happen.

5. Member
    Air pressure, balance. Possibly poor quality tire. bad front bearing. Alignment?? That is just crazy. Unless you bought a used bike that may have been wrecked. It's just 2 wheels, 1 follows the other. Put the bike on the center stand and spin the wheel. A 12 pack and your buddies can figure it out.
    A center stand is an ancient device that was regular equipment on motor cycles. My 28 year old zzr 1100 has a center stand. Use it All the time. I have no need for a lift. In 30 minutes I can have the swingarm and rear tire off. I take the wheel off alot, it's badass to look at!!
    Last edited by Alumicraft145; 07-31-2020 at 08:24 PM.

6. Member
    Short piece of 4x8 and a short piece of pipe makes a cheap, quick and stable center jack.

The tire wear described is usually a mix of balance and air pressure but can also be caused by other things like low fork oil, bad bearings or even a slightly dragging brake.

You also have to remember that i'm talking about a Harley Ultra. The swingarm is mounted to the motor, not the frame so alignment CAN be an issue. I have a way to check it but I need a flat plate scissor jack before I can check it correctly. I changed the front motor mount today. It was cracked but not split. Hoping to find the right jack this week. There are no center stands on a Harley. I saw the 4x8 and pipe idea today but not real confident in putting 900 pounds on the side of a 4x8...

Pat, which tire has had the wear issue? If it is the rear then from some of the reading I have been doing states that is possible from engine frame misalignment. There has been no mention of front tire wear from this misalignment. Hope you get it figured out !!!!

9. Member
    Get a good tire pressure gauge and put 41 psi in both front and rear tires cold and you can thank me later for the tire wear problems and tire life. Got that from the dealership owner here in Nashville a few years back and he said you will never have a problem and I have yet to have one either. Now once the tire is dipped you can kiss it goodbye as it will not change the wear pattern on it so you will have to replace it.

And yes I ride an Ultra Classic as well.
    Last edited by tmapes225; 08-07-2020 at 02:23 PM. Reason: wording

10. Member
    Cupping, what you are calling scalloping is either from low air pressure or unbalanced tires. You can do a search on aligning with string or fish line. You can also use two 8' Fluorescent tubes.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheeseman View Post
    Cupping, what you are calling scalloping is either from low air pressure or unbalanced tires. You can do a search on aligning with string or fish line. You can also use two 8' Fluorescent tubes.
    Front tire was balanced, replaced and balanced again. Also replaced the wheel bearings in the front. Air pressure is spot on.New tire is " cupping" again.

12. Kansas Bass Club Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by cape cod basser View Post
    Has anyone ever had an alignment done on a Harley? Sounds like quite the process so I don't think I could do it myself at home but I know it needs to be done
    with the tire wear I am getting.
    Plus I don't have the right lift and jack that is needed. Swing arm bushings look brand new. No play in the steering head bearing. Only thing I'm not sure about is the motor mounts so those would need to be checked/changed before alignment.

Just have no idea what kind of time they will charge to get it done?
    What model and year is the bike? Mileage ?

2007 Ultra Classic. Now has about 53, 000 on it.

Pat, have you come to any conclusions for the issues with your bike?

16. Member
    Before you do anything, check your air pressure. On a motorcycle you should check the air pressure every time you ride it. Even if you ride daily. The pressure
    dictates the tire wear. I have learned that the hard way. I have become anal about tire pressure over the last ten years. What brand tires are you riding?

17. Member
    Make sure your front forks are at the same length. The front axle keeps them close but it could be 1mm and cause irregular tire wear.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Pickel View Post
    Before you do anything, check your air pressure. On a motorcycle you should check the air pressure every time you ride it. Even if you ride daily. The pressure
    dictates the tire wear. I have learned that the hard way. I have become anal about tire pressure over the last ten years. What brand tires are you riding?
    Michelin Commander IIs .
    I changed the front motor mount and while the bolts were loose I started the motor and let it settle in where it wanted to be and shut it down. Torqued the bolts down and it's been a little better for sure. I went to the upper torque range and ended up having to back it off as the vibration was real bad. was better when I cut it back.
    Will run it the rest of the year and see where I am at.

I sent the factory Harmon Kardon stereo out to Iron Cross Audio for a rebuild/repair. While they have it I'm going to have them add bluetooth so I can play off my phone wireless. Looking forward to getting it back. Now that I have had music I HATE riding without it !!

Quote Originally Posted by cape cod basser View Post
    Now that I have had music I HATE riding without it !!
    Funny how you get used to having tunes while you ride. I have thought several times that I would like a Road King so I could have the OPEN AIR RIDE. Then I would have to add all the handle bar mounted speakes and such. Not a real fan of that look.