Shimono chronarch cl4

Is this the black sheep of the family or is it me. I'm pissed I've cut more line off this thing I can't get it dialed in. I've been shimono for my whole life have curados and my favorites the white chronarchs . I just can't make this one work. Any I would be appreciated or does anyone want to trade. Been using quantum smokes I love.

2. Member
    Okay didn't even know about the inside brakes although two of them were on at factory settings. Start playing there and see what happens , shouldn't be that complicated but maybe it will end up alright. I hope.

3. Member
    I'm reading and thinking this is a great reel but an oldie- like 2013 era? is that correct? Love mine. Use it mostly for moving baits. Killer frog rod. I use like 40# pp braid and the braking is great IMO. Do ensure you have it set up properly
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by davidsa View Post
    I'm reading and thinking this is a great reel but an oldie- like 2013 era? is that correct? Love mine. Use it mostly for moving baits. Killer frog rod. I use like 40# pp braid and the braking is great IMO. Do ensure you have it set up properly
    Not sure what era bought it at the classic when they came to Tulsa , probably five years or so so it could be from that era. That's not an oldie heck I'm still using a lot of green curados.

5. Member
    I have several of the Chronarch Ci4 reels, in the 6.2:1 and 7.6:1. I really like mine, only complaint is a couple have gotten a little loud and I've thought about changing the bearings, but other than that I like them.
    2019 Ranger 212LS with a 2019 Mercury 250 ProXS 4-Stroke
    Humminbird HELIX 10 MSI and HELIX 10 Chirp (side by side at the console)
    Humminbird HELIX 10 MDI+ and HELIX 10 Chirp (stacked at the bow)
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112lb with Humminbird MEGA 360
    Dual Minn Kota 12' Talon with R&R Design
    Extended Emergency Ladder

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gary_fritz View Post
    I have several of the Chronarch Ci4 reels, in the 6.2:1 and 7.6:1. I really like mine, only complaint is a couple have gotten a little loud and I've thought about changing the bearings, but other than that I like them.
    If it's loud on the cast, a little oil on the brake drum will probably remedy that.

I have had a rough time dialing in almost all the SVS Infinity reels. Ended up getting rid of most of them because the Daiwa system was much better for me. I usually do 2 on 2 off on the Shimanos, but I had a couple that needed 3 on, then I'd just turn the external dial to 1.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tywithay View Post
    If it's loud on the cast, a little oil on the brake drum will probably remedy that.

I have had a rough time dialing in almost all the SVS Infinity reels. Ended up getting rid of most of them because the Daiwa system was much better for me. I usually do 2 on 2 off on the Shimanos, but I had a couple that needed 3 on, then I'd just turn the external dial to 1.
    yeah, on the cast. I've oiled the brakes and drum and it helps a bit but not completely so I was thinking of stripping one and thoroughly cleaning it. Instead of just oiling the bearing actually soak them to clean them out and them re-oil them and see if that helps before replacing them.

I don't mind the svs braking, I've fished pretty much only Shimano reels with it. Some reels are touchy on the settings and some are pretty loose, but I think that is more so from the rod it's on and the lures being thrown.
    2019 Ranger 212LS with a 2019 Mercury 250 ProXS 4-Stroke
    Humminbird HELIX 10 MSI and HELIX 10 Chirp (side by side at the console)
    Humminbird HELIX 10 MDI+ and HELIX 10 Chirp (stacked at the bow)
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112lb with Humminbird MEGA 360
    Dual Minn Kota 12' Talon with R&R Design
    Extended Emergency Ladder

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kb444fishing View Post
    Okay didn't even know about the inside brakes although two of them were on at factory settings. Start playing there and see what happens , shouldn't be that complicated but maybe it will end up alright. I hope.
    Funny you should find that. I purchased a Chronarch MGL and was having a really hard time getting it dialed in. Was ready to post something on here about it and then I decided to look at the manual. I assumed that the brake dial on the outside of the reel, coupled with the spool tension knob, was the entirety of the braking system. Nope...it still has 4 on/off brakes on the inside as well. Once I changed the internal braking from 1 on and 3 off to 2 on and 2 off, I was able to dial in the reel so much better. Glad to know I'm not the only one who didn't know that.

9. Banned
    The non mgl ci4 has 6 brakes you may need to turn four on i personally turn 1 on 5 off and thumb it but i also use them as my froggin reels not really bomb casting more pinpoint stuff

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickworm420 View Post
    The non mgl ci4 has 6 brakes you may need to turn four on i personally turn 1 on 5 off and thumb it but i also use them as my froggin reels not really bomb casting more pinpoint stuff
    this is my config as well. mine is certainly non-mgl. super frog reel and works great for the lipless crank. actually good for everything but I prefer the metanium material for bottom bouncing
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

11. Banned
    Another thing i noticed is the old brake pads wear easily so they need to be replaced only the ones that you have on you could also just turn the used off and the unused on