Thread: Oconto

Oconto

Considering a trip to Oconto to experamint in 19ft bass boat. Is that a bad idea. I was there a year ago on a walleye trip and just thought the area was cool and a person may figure out some small mouth options. Have I lost my mind? Are there many rock areas in Green Bay around that area? Thanks for any advice!

2. Member
    If it’s to rough you can also fish the river.
    2023 Phoenix 819 pro
    2023 200 Pro XS 4s 3B373365

pond boat
    2020 pelican Bass raider 10E

3. Member
    Thankyou!

4. Member
    I haven’t fished the oconto area but have fished around Peshtigo and Sturgeon Bay. You’ll be fine in a 19’ boat. Obviously just be careful with the wind. I’d say that if you were running a 21’ boat

5. Member
    Thanks, believe me I get that. I guess what I was meaning is that a place worth trying. I was wondering If I will be able to find rock there or should just be somewhere else in general? I'm not wanting someones honey hole wondering if I would be wasting a trip from Iowa? Thanks to all that replied!!

Quote Originally Posted by boykinhunter View Post
    Thanks, believe me I get that. I guess what I was meaning is that a place worth trying. I was wondering If I will be able to find rock there or should just be somewhere else in general? I'm not wanting someones honey hole wondering if I would be wasting a trip from Iowa? Thanks to all that replied!!
    There are going to be a lot of good fisheries near the 151 and I-41 corridors between essentially Beaver Dam and Green Bay-ish so I don't think you would waste a trip so to say. Fox Lake by Beaver Dam is a good largemouth lake. Big Green by Ripon is good for both species. The Wolf River around New London is good too. I have not fished the Oconto river, but I have fished the Menominee river by Marinette above the dam and it was a good fishery. I imagine the Oconto sets up similarly. I guess it is fair to say that it is possible to get out of the wind/waves by fishing a different area if you come up this way.

7. Member
    Just my $.02, if you're going to travel that far, why not just go to Sturgeon bay?

8. Member
    Very much appreciate all the feed back. slipknobber you may very well be right that is why I asked. I have never been to Sturgeon bay and had been to Oconto and knew what it looked like. I can take a trip to either to try something different and have a great time if I never caught a fish. Always hope for better though. Thanks again all!